Updates via AppStore

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
macmusic

Updates via AppStore

Post by macmusic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi

I purchased decibel 1.0.2 via the Apple Appstore, when will the latest version be available for download, I've tried downloading the 1.0.4 from the website but can't install over the original (something to do with permission for users system and wheel )

Was hoping that the new version might cure the crashes I get when loading files from my NAS

Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Updates via AppStore

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:18 am

This is one of the unfortunate downsides to the Mac App Store.

I submitted Decibel 1.0.4 to the MAS about 30 minutes after I updated my website on April 3rd. As of today it is still awaiting review, and Apple does not provide any information or timelines on approvals.

johnrobn

Post by johnrobn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:53 pm

I too would like to update to the newest version but I cannot because I bought the software through the App Store. Can you provide an alternative method for users who paid for a now outdated product? I feel deceived by this unpublished limitation when I purchased Decibel and I would not have purchased via Apple had I known.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:35 am

This is a frustrating situation for all involved. I have read laments from many developers who are in the same boat- a bug fix version that should take 1 or 2 days to push out ends up taking weeks. I sent an inquiry to Apple several days ago asking about the status of the 1.0.4 update. I haven't received a response yet.

For the immediate future there isn't much I can do. However, for future direct-download (non Mac App Store) versions I will work on functionality to recognize that a Mac App store copy is installed, and unlock the direct download version.

johnrobn

Post by johnrobn » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:42 pm

An ability to unlock App store versions in newer updates would be of great help to those of us stuck with these out of date versions. Thanks for making it a priority.

creata

Post by creata » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 am

This is why i don't purchase app via MAS if its possible.
Really frustrating when you can't get an update as soon as it's available.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Here is another interesting twist to the story. Last week I received a call from Steve at Apple (not THE Steve, sadly) who informed me that Decibel 1.0.4 was rejected from the App Store due to violation of the Mac App Store policies. He said that in their testing they discovered that Decibel was modifying the iTunes library which is against the rules that Apple sets forth. There are two interesting things about this claim-
  • I don't do any modification of the iTunes library. I use AppleScript, generated by ScriptingBridge, to allow the currently selected tracks in iTunes to be imported into Decibel's playlist.
  • The iTunes integration hasn't changed at all since version 1.0, which was approved.
When I asked if I would be able to rebut the claims and appeal the decision he informed that there is indeed an appeals process. However, almost 5 days later the binary I uploaded still shows "In Review". It hasn't even been rejected yet! So now I'm in a quandary- do I reject the binary and upload another one, moving myself to the back of the queue (and buying another two week delay) but hoping for a different reviewer, or do I just wait?

This tells me is that the review process is very inconsistent, to say the least, and developers have little to no power what software is distributed to their users. My overall impression with the MAS is one of frustration. One wonders if there was a 14-day time from submission to start of review for iWork!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Another update- I finally received the official App Store rejection today. I've appealed the decision and will hopefully hear back this week on the review board's decision.

Yarrow

Post by Yarrow » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14 pm

johnrobn wrote:An ability to unlock App store versions in newer updates would be of great help to those of us stuck with these out of date versions. Thanks for making it a priority.
+1
And thanks for Decibel - it sounds great

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 17, 2011 4:45 am

For those of you following this saga, I still have no word from Apple in the appeal process.

However, I just released version 1.2 which allows non-MAS versions to be unlocked with a Mac App Store receipt.

Yarrow

Post by Yarrow » Wed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm

sbooth wrote:... non-MAS versions to be unlocked with a Mac App Store receipt.
How to feed Mac App Store receipt to Decibel?
My Mac App Store receipt for Decibel is just a numeric ID that Apple sent to me by email.
What should I do with it?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu May 19, 2011 12:04 am

In theory, if you install Decibel via the MAS you'll have a receipt on your computer. Once this is done, download the latest version from sbooth.org and run that version. It should recognize that you have a MAS version installed and use the MAS receipt for license verification.

Yarrow

Post by Yarrow » Thu May 19, 2011 5:31 am

sbooth wrote:It should recognize that you have a MAS version installed...
It doesn't work in my case, Decibel 1.2 doesn't recognize MAS version installed and works as trial.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu May 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Until Apple approves the newer versions of Decibel on the MAS (we're locked in an approval battle at the moment), you can perform the following steps to use your MAS receipt with Decibel:
  • Create the ~/Library/Application Support/Decibel/App Store Receipts/ folder
  • Open Decibel.app that has been downloaded from the MAS, and copy the Contents/_MASReceipt/receipt file into the folder you just created.

Yarrow

Post by Yarrow » Thu May 19, 2011 6:30 pm

sbooth wrote:... you can perform the following steps to use your MAS receipt with Decibel...
Yep, it helped, thanks!