Upsampling option??

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
DomieMic65

Upsampling option??

Post by DomieMic65 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 am

What do you think about upsampling? Do you think that it brings any improvement?
Are you planing to add any upsampling options to Decibel?
x2 or x4 (in order to keep the "maths" correct) wouldn't it be a nice option to have?

Thank you!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Upsampling option??

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 pm

For now I don't plan on adding upsampling support. I've heard arguments that upsampling improves sound and arguments that it doesn't, but I'm not convinced one way or the other. I'm sure for some specific DACs handing audio off at a higher sample rate could improve things (due to their internal design), but in general I don't know if this option would be beneficial.

DomieMic65

Post by DomieMic65 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:48 pm

My experience in my system with a cheap (but not bad sonically DAC and M2Tech HiFace) is that I get some improvement with x2 upsampling.. for sure I like to experiment depending on the musical material!!
I understand your skepticism though...
Personally I would like to have this option!!

DomieMic65

Post by DomieMic65 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

Finally I see that in the last version you have added upsampling!
How does it work though? When is it working? Only for red book files?
"The quality of the sample rate conversion algorithm when sample rate conversion is required" what exactly do you mean by that?

Thanx!!!!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu May 19, 2011 2:50 pm

There is really no explicit "feature" for upsampling or downsampling. However, if you set your DAC to 192K (or 96, or whatever) and uncheck "Adjust sample rate" in Decibel's preferences, then upsampling will occur if the file isn't the same sample rate as your DAC. The quality setting just controls how much processing time is devoted to SRC if it is required, meaning when the file and DAC are at different sample rates.