Difference between "free" and "full" (paid) versions

Discuss Decibel, a high quality audio player.
Fuga

Difference between "free" and "full" (paid) versions

Post by Fuga » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm wondering what I'd get for the $$.

Thanks,

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Difference between "free" and "full" (paid) versions

Post by sbooth » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:41 pm

There really isn't a free version per se- it's actually a trial version. The trial version will work for 24 hours of playback/usage, then it will require a license file to keep working. As new versions come out the trial period is reset, so if a feature is lacking from one version you can try the new version to see if you like it better.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 pm

sbooth wrote:There really isn't a free version per se- it's actually a trial version. The trial version will work for 24 hours of playback/usage, then it will require a license file to keep working. As new versions come out the trial period is reset, so if a feature is lacking from one version you can try the new version to see if you like it better.
Thanks. And a big THANK YOU for making the trial work that way. Too many don't. I imagine I won't make up my mind about Decibel until there's an equalizer. As much of an early adopter as I am, at that price I want to be sure.

bfn

Post by bfn » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:18 pm

sbooth wrote:There really isn't a free version per se- it's actually a trial version. The trial version will work for 24 hours of playback/usage, then it will require a license file to keep working. As new versions come out the trial period is reset, so if a feature is lacking from one version you can try the new version to see if you like it better.
That trial period reset isn't working. I was down to 14 hours with version 1.0, then replaced the application with version 1.02. Starting up the first time, it showed indeed 24 hours as the remaining time, but at the next startup it reverted back to 14 hours.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:46 pm

bfn wrote:That trial period reset isn't working. I was down to 14 hours with version 1.0, then replaced the application with version 1.02. Starting up the first time, it showed indeed 24 hours as the remaining time, but at the next startup it reverted back to 14 hours.
Thanks for pointing this out- I just fixed the problem and it will work as advertised in future versions.

DomieMic65

Post by DomieMic65 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:47 pm

sbooth wrote:
bfn wrote:That trial period reset isn't working. I was down to 14 hours with version 1.0, then replaced the application with version 1.02. Starting up the first time, it showed indeed 24 hours as the remaining time, but at the next startup it reverted back to 14 hours.
Thanks for pointing this out- I just fixed the problem and it will work as advertised in future versions.
No it didn't... I downloaded two updates and even if at first the trial period was reset to 24 when I relaunched the player got back to the initial remaining time...
For now my trial period has finished and I am thinking of buying or not...

I admit that the decibel is somehow more user friendly than Audirvana (free)... sonically the differences exist but I didn't have time to decide if they worth the cost. OK it isn't expensive but from the other hand when I read in TAS (issue 210) about a new "free" and very promising player (Ayrewave) I expected it to be so...

Anyway one way or another it is a very nice player and it sounds very googd!!! Bravi!!!

brh

Post by brh » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:57 am

DomieMic65 wrote:
sbooth wrote:
bfn wrote: OK it isn't expensive but from the other hand when I read in TAS (issue 210) about a new "free" and very promising player (Ayrewave) I expected it to be so...
Paying ~30USD is a pretty cut and dry yes/no decision, it's not a 5USD app store, 'who cares' sort of a situation, I think everyone can agree on that. Whether or not it's worth the ~30USD to you, I don't know. At first I was like, 'hey, I'm unemployed, I don't know about this!' but pretty quickly I just bit the bullet, because Booth is doing great work here. Regardless — I don't think it's productive to bring up TAS here… Speaking tentatively based on some beta software and making claims makes for some punchy journalism, but somehow I doubt they ever really asked if the free price tag was a permanent situation or not. Sources I saw before the product was official seemed far more willing to say, 'this is awesome but it will cost money,' or 'this may cost money, because obviously it's just beta software right now.'

Whether it's worth the ~30USD or not to you, that's for you to figure out. But, and this is from someone who has nothing invested in this project other than his own ~30USD, don't blame Booth for what TAS said. Just, is it worth that to you or not?

DomieMic65

Post by DomieMic65 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 am

brh wrote:....
Whether it's worth the ~30USD or not to you, that's for you to figure out. But, and this is from someone who has nothing invested in this project other than his own ~30USD, don't blame Booth for what TAS said. Just, is it worth that to you or not?
I didn't want to accuse or blame anyone... for sure not Booth. I totally agree that "Db" is very very good...
I just made a commend.
If it wasn't for TAS I wouldn't have heard nothing about Ayrewave or Decibel... even though they might want to make "punchy journalism" as you say!!!

DomieMic65

Post by DomieMic65 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:02 pm

:?: Why am I charged with 39,27$ instead of 33$ or 24,11€ (as the site shows for my country) when I am purchasing through PayPal :?:

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:08 pm

DomieMic65 wrote::?: Why am I charged with 39,27$ instead of 33$ or 24,11€ (as the site shows for my country) when I am purchasing through PayPal :?:
I use FastSpring as my e-commerce provider and I asked them about this. Apparently for some transactions they do not charge in euros, but dollars, even though the calculated price is displayed in euros. I'm honestly not sure why this is, as I'm not an expert in this area. I will ask again and try to get more clarification.

DomieMic65

Post by DomieMic65 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 pm

sbooth wrote:
DomieMic65 wrote::?: Why am I charged with 39,27$ instead of 33$ or 24,11€ (as the site shows for my country) when I am purchasing through PayPal :?:
I use FastSpring as my e-commerce provider and I asked them about this. Apparently for some transactions they do not charge in euros, but dollars, even though the calculated price is displayed in euros. I'm honestly not sure why this is, as I'm not an expert in this area. I will ask again and try to get more clarification.
ΟΚ.. thank you very much!
I am waiting for your answer...!

DomieMic65

Post by DomieMic65 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I got it finally... it wasn't so much more anyway!!!