Page 1 of 1
Where are my files?
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:29 pm
I have changed the output directory to everything I can think of, on different discs, everywhere, and no matter what I do, my files just don't ever get written, or I can't find them. I am trying to rip one file off a CD, the log says that it was encoded successfully, but no files. What's the deal?
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:11 am
What output formats have you configured?
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:19 pm
Uh, yeah. That was my mistake. Did I miss something that said to do this before ripping? I read the help files for getting started and they didn't mention this at all. I know it seems obvious now that I did it, but it was not obvious before. Also, it isn't very intuitive that you have to double click on the list below to add something to the list above. I thought that by simply being clicked on one from the list below specified what output format I wanted to use. I didn't realize I needed to double click to set one up and add it to the list, which when not populated (by default), isn't obvious that I need to do so.
Thanks for the help.
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:42 pm
namlet wrote:I read the help files for getting started and they didn't mention this at all.
The included Help information is outdated and indeed not very helpful. According to the Help information the output should be ~190 kbps variable bit rate (VBR) MP3 files by default. But by default no output format is set.
Shouldn't there be an error message when no output format is selected?
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:01 pm
The included help files are outdated, and don't mention this. However, the README distributed with Max does say:
To select which output formats will be generated:
1. Open the Formats section of the Preferences and double-click the desired format from the list of available formats
2. Edit the encoder settings, if desired
To create audio files from compact discs:
1. Insert the compact disc
2. Select the correct album information from that retrieved, if prompted to do so
3. If desired, download album art by selecting Download Album Art… from the Compact Disc menu
4. Click the Select All button
5. Click the Encode icon in the toolbar
6. The encoded files will be placed in your Music folder
To convert existing audio files to other formats:
1. Drag the files you would like to convert to the Converter window
? Alternatively, select Convert Files… from the File menu
2. The converted files will be placed in your Music folder
So at least it's mentioned somewhere
At some point in the future Max will have a wizard-type interface for adding output formats when it is first run.