Cover art

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
Mike1

Cover art

Post by Mike1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:19 am

For the most part I tried out Play with some ogg vorbis files I had, but I did drop an MP3 with some imbedded artwork in on it. It didn't display properly - the image showed mostly grey with a strip of cover art across the top of it.

However, I was wondering: might you consider handling artwork with a database or something?

It seems inefficient to me to add add artwork to ID3 tags, since it means storing one image multiple times. Moreover, while I believe artwork can be imbedded into some of the rarer formats, like ogg vorbis, I don't think it usually is, and AFAIK there's no generally available tool for doing that. Also, people moving from Windows and previous use of Windows Media Player will already be working on a one-image-per-album basis.

It seems to me that the main drawback of the new artwork database in iTune is that you can't add to it manually - it's fed from an iTMS search, and that's it. But on the whole it seems to me that a database is a better way to go, and if it were easy to get stuff in and out the drawback would be gone.

flips

Re: Cover art

Post by flips » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:13 pm

Wow, I just discovered Play, Max and Tag. I can't believe I never discovered these programs before. They sure looks promising! I have all my music in OGGs, so working with iTunes has been a constant struggle.

So, should album art work now? (Running r964 now)
I usually just have the album art as jpeg's in the same directory as the OGG files. (Not sure if OGG suppors inline album art?) Maybe PNG would be better, but I'm not sure if all my apps will handle it (like pTunes on my Palm) ...

The only thing I like with iTunes, is FrontRow, using the remote. But I have trouble getting iTunes to recognize the album art on OGGs. Drag&drop won't work. (I didn't get Max to import my OGG's directly into iTunes for some reason.)

--
flips 8)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:41 am

flips wrote:So, should album art work now? (Running r964 now)
I usually just have the album art as jpeg's in the same directory as the OGG files. (Not sure if OGG suppors inline album art?) Maybe PNG would be better, but I'm not sure if all my apps will handle it (like pTunes on my Palm) ...
I've removed album art support until I figure out the best way to implement it. I will be adding it at some point in the future.

flips

Post by flips » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:06 pm

Ok, thanks! :)