FLAC+cue: wooohooo...

Discuss Play, an open source multi-format audio player.
maxlover

FLAC+cue: wooohooo...

Post by maxlover » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:18 pm

Now that r1036 has replaced r1033, I have had the pleasure to try the new FLAC+cue feature. So I fed my 936 FLAC album images to Play, and in a few seconds it added 14,787 individual tracks to the library. They play fine, gapless, and all. It's a giant step. Of course, for the time being, they are all named 'Pistes multiples' (my system runs in French), but I'm sure it will get better when the feature will be further refined.

Thanks for the good work.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: FLAC+cue: wooohooo...

Post by sbooth » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:12 pm

maxlover wrote:Of course, for the time being, they are all named 'Pistes multiples' (my system runs in French), but I'm sure it will get better when the feature will be further refined.
The same goes for my FLAC files with embedded cue sheets. The problem is that FLAC cue sheets don't support metadata; they are basically just a CD's table of contents. So there is no real way to extract per-track metadata from such a FLAC file. Maybe a feature to lookup multiple files in MusicBrainz as an album would help for these cases.

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:06 pm

The problem is that FLAC cue sheets don't support metadata; they are basically just a CD's table of contents.
Yes, and no one is suggesting that the format should be perverted...
So there is no real way to extract per-track metadata from such a FLAC file. Maybe a feature to lookup multiple files in MusicBrainz as an album would help for these cases.
But, as I wrote earlier, if the tracks have been ripped with Max (what else ?), all the information is sitting no farther away that in the 'Max' folder in the same 'Application Support' folder of the library. While ripping my CDs, I took more than 200 hours correcting and perfecting that information, and I would be extremely pleased to see it used by Play.
Thanks again for Max and Play, let's have them work together for the best.

TheLink

Post by TheLink » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:12 pm

It would be nice if Play would be able to generally read embedded cuesheets as foobar2000 creates them with lossless formats (especially flac and wavpack). Foobar additionally places tag information in the cuesheet tag using REM statements which is a valid approach as far as I know. Foobar can read flac's own implementation of embedded cuesheets but doesn't use this scheme to write them since tagging becomes awkward this way and every lossless format would have to be treated in a different way (which doesn't really makes sense imho). Sorry if this might be a bit off topic but it would be great if Play would be the first audio player on OS X that could read embedded cuesheets from lossless album images (especially wavpack in my case).

With kind regards,
Tobias