Album and Track Titles Missing

Ask questions and get answers on how to make Max behave.
thetasig

Album and Track Titles Missing

Post by thetasig » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:23 pm

I've got a CD that is listed on MusicBrainz with all the song titles. However, when I put this disk in with Max running, all Max picks up is the length of each song - no titles, no album title. How can I set Max to find this disk? (Other disks have similar problems and they are also on MusicBrainz). Thx.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Album and Track Titles Missing

Post by sbooth » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:49 pm

Have you verified that your disc, with the exact disc ID Max calculates, is present in MB?

See http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2092 for more information.

thetasig

Post by thetasig » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:50 pm

So, if I understand, the 2 IDs have to match or Max will end up empty - is that right?

I see that the Max disk ID and MB ID are different. So the question becomes "why are they different?" Could it be due to the way the disk ID is calculated? How are those IDs calculated?

One new disk I have does have a matching ID so that one gets a title and track titles, etc. So I know that I'm communicating with MB alright.

Now, on the older disks I have "Anyone Can Whistle (Original Broadway Cast)" is listed on MB but it doesn't have a disk ID. Wonder why? The MB disk details exactly match the details on my CD so "logically" they should match up even if the IDs don't match.

Second part of the question is - iTunes picks up each track title and length when I put the disk in - how come Max doesn't do the same? That is, if Max can't find details in MB, why doesn't it just read the disk for titles instead of leaving them as "None Specified"? Thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:12 am

thetasig wrote:So, if I understand, the 2 IDs have to match or Max will end up empty - is that right?
Correct.
I see that the Max disk ID and MB ID are different. So the question becomes "why are they different?" Could it be due to the way the disk ID is calculated? How are those IDs calculated?
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/DiscIDCalculation
It is possible your disk is a different pressing, with slightly different start and end times for some tracks. This would cause the disc ID to be different.
Second part of the question is - iTunes picks up each track title and length when I put the disk in - how come Max doesn't do the same? That is, if Max can't find details in MB, why doesn't it just read the disk for titles instead of leaving them as "None Specified"? Thanks!
iTunes uses GraceNote, a commercial database, which is more complete than MusicBrainz. There is essentially no way (except on a few esoteric CDs) to embed titles on the disc itself.