Looks great and very promising, but...

Discuss Tag, a metadata editor for audio files.
pl_svn

Looks great and very promising, but...

Post by pl_svn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:57 pm

... so far:

a) drag'n drop to add files doesn't work
b) can't select a folder, only single files
c) "-" (minus) to remove files doesn't work: must quit the app and load new ones :-(

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Looks great and very promising, but...

Post by sbooth » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:10 am

Thank you for the feedback!

I've already fixed a) and c), and b) should be done shortly. In the meantime you should be able to close one file at a time using the '-' button.

bluishgreen

Post by bluishgreen » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi,

So far, it's been working pretty well for me. I've been using Tag for awhile, and the one thing I've always wanted was the album art functionality, so that's a welcome addition. A couple things I noticed:

--I can't seem to add/fix album art for multiple tracks at a time. If I select multiple tracks in an album, I can't do anything image-wise, and must do each one-at-a-time which is more error-prone with a larger album.
--I can't save multiple files at once. If I just choose save from the menu without anything selected it doesn't seem to do anything. If I select multiple tracks and choose save, it also doesn't seem to do anything. It only saves if I select one-at-a-time, which like above, is a bit more error-prone with a larger album.
--It also doesn't seem to save the tracks if you try to exit before saving changes--it does prompt to save the first track, but not the others (it neither exits nor saves them).

Other than the multi-image and multi-save quirks, it's been working pretty well, though.

Thanks!

pl_svn

Post by pl_svn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:33 pm

thank you Stephen: I'm already using Tag and finally kissed Parallels/Foobar good bye ;-)

oh... also... Artwork "disappears" if multiple files are selected so "Type" can only be applied/changed track by track :-(

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 pm

I've tried to address the major issues that have been brought up in 1.0b2. I'm working editing multiple pieces of album art at the same time, also.

pl_svn

Post by pl_svn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm

... oh... and can you, please, also add the "Comments" field and possibly an "Advanced" section (as in "old" Tag) showing all embedded "custom tags"? :-)

thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:45 pm

Comment is a field that I will likely add. I don't anticipate adding an advanced section with all the other tags, because the new Tag handles more file formats than the old one, and for many of these formats it isn't clear what should be shown. In FLAC files, for example, the tags are all in TAG=VALUE format so it is quite simple. However, MPEG-4 uses its own custom tagging format, and MP3/WAVE/AIFF use ID3v2. I don't think showing the raw ID3v2 frame values is something that would be useful to very many people.

tamale

Post by tamale » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Tag tells me that I require Mac OS X 10.7 or later. I'm on 10.6.7 :oops:

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Yes, it requires 10.7. I will add that to the announcement.

bluishgreen

Post by bluishgreen » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Most everything from before (multi-track art editing and multi-track saving issues) is working great now with b3. I have a couple minor things that aren't bugs, but more "nice-to-haves" if possible, since my workflow tends to work more with drag-n-drop w/Finder. I can drag track files to the list, but it would be nice to be able to just drag the album folder--I believe that works in the older Tag, and it just ignores extraneous files like images and PDFs. It's a bit quicker and easier than selecting all the track files. Also, with the album art section, it would be nice to be able to drag an image from finder into the image list area, rather than using the +/- buttons/dialogues.

But again, those are smaller "nice-to-haves". Everything else is working perfectly now.

Thanks!

pl_svn

Post by pl_svn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:33 pm

+ 1

also... can you, please, change "Rating" so it works in 1/2 star steps?

thanks

btw... it's almost certainly an iTunes issue but... it does not read Rating tags even when written directly to Apple Lossless files :-/

bluishgreen

Post by bluishgreen » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Last night I edited the track info for a few MP3 albums (until then, I had only done FLAC) and in all three cases, the cover art stopped being recognized by iTunes and Finder afterwards. Before editing, iTunes saw the cover art, and Finder would show a thumbnail image of the cover for each track. After I edited a couple things for the tracks (I only editing the info like Album Artist--I never touched the album art section) and saved everything, Finder no longer showed a thumbnail of the cover and iTunes didn't recognize the cover art either. If I re-opened things in Tag, Tag still shows the art as normal, plus the album cover art _does_ work when opened in Decibel and VLC2 (I've set VLC to only do manual album art lookups, although I'm not positive that it still isn't doing some sort of lookup or caching). I've only tested FLAC and MP3, and of course FLAC isn't supported in iTunes nor recognized by Finder (in terms of cover art thumbnails) so I'm not sure if it's MP3-specific.

One other more quirk-like thing--I noticed that after saving an album of tracks and closing Tag, when I re-open Tag later, one of the tracks (usually the first one) is "stuck" and re-opens each time I open Tag until I explicitly open another track or album of tracks. Even if I hit the "-" button to remove it and close Tag, when I re-open Tag the file is back there. However, if I remove the tack and then open another track (or album) and then remove the new tracks and close Tag, then it opens cleanly without any "stuck" tracks. It doesn't happen every time, but does so fairly frequently--not sure which action I'm doing is triggering it.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:54 pm

The album art issue was isolated to MP3 files only (or more specifically, to album art in ID3v2 tags). It appears that iTunes ignores album art if the MIME type of the image data isn't specified. I've fixed the bug in the most recent prerelease. Opening any errant files and re-saving with the new version should fix them in iTunes.

bluishgreen

Post by bluishgreen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 pm

sbooth wrote:The album art issue was isolated to MP3 files only (or more specifically, to album art in ID3v2 tags). It appears that iTunes ignores album art if the MIME type of the image data isn't specified. I've fixed the bug in the most recent prerelease. Opening any errant files and re-saving with the new version should fix them in iTunes.
OK--thanks. I always edit copies of my originals (not the originals themselves) so I'd just re-create new, pristine copies the next time around anyway. Is the most recent prerelease available somewhere, or is it still in the works? I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but that was all done with b3.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:54 pm

I haven't posted a new version yet, but plan to this week.