Tag reading help for a Mac illiterate

Get answers on how to get Tag to do what you want it to.
Harris

Tag reading help for a Mac illiterate

Post by Harris » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm a PC person, trying to help my daughter 2500 miles away listen to FLAC and MP3 files on her Mac (os X). While I'm knowledgeable about working with music files on a PC, I know little about Macs.

From googling, I pointed her at MacAmp lite. She tells me that it won't recognize most of the ogg/flac tags and ID3v2 tags I created with Tag&Rename, a commonly used PC program. It only sees a few of either that I created on the latest release of this tagging program. This mystifies me as they all show up on several PC and network players.

Is this problem inherent in a Mac or will Cog predictably read tags that MacAmp won't? Does she need a special tag plugin for either program?

Sorry to ask so basic of questions. If I had a Mac here I would just try it for myself. ..and yes, I'd rather have a Mac but I've got too much PC stuff to change at my age :cry:

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:37 pm

Are you talking about "MacAmp Lite" or "MacAmp Lite X"?
MacAmp Lite is/was a MacOS application, it will not run natively in MacOSX, it may run in MacOSX Classic environment on PPC Macs.
MacAmp Lite X is/was a MacOSX application that died some (four?) years ago, not being able to compete with the all-dominant iTunes.

"Cog" http://cogosx.sourceforge.net/ does play several music file formats and it should read the usual tags.

"Play" http://sbooth.org/Play/ will be an alternative in the near future.

If some tags are not read it either is a limitation or bug in the application, or the tags are not correct. There are no special tag plugins and there is no limitation in MacOSX.

("Tag" is an application for tagging music files. "Max" is an application for ripping, encoding and converting.)

Harris

Post by Harris » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:55 am

Thank you. I did mean MacAmp Lite X.

I now understand that this forum is for people using the application named Tag not for general tagging problems.

I will have her try Cog now that I know there are not any special tricks necessary.