Tag and/or file format conversion etc.

Get answers on how to get Tag to do what you want it to.
burak

Tag and/or file format conversion etc.

Post by burak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi...

After upgrading from Mac OS 10.4.11 to 10.5.6 and adding my old music folder in the external hard disc to the (new) itunes librar, tags got jumbled. Many songs went to the Unknown Artist/Unknown Album and the number lists of the rest got jumbled too. They're mostly in aiff format, but I may consider converting all of them by XLD (or anything else?) to wav format if this is a global, once-and-for-all alternative making possible to use Play properly (with tags) as well. Can Tag help me here?

Any suggestion greatly appreciated (especially considering the hundreds of CDs in questin).
Burak

Mike1

Re: Tag and/or file format conversion etc.

Post by Mike1 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:14 pm

burak wrote:Any suggestion greatly appreciated
I'd suggest converting them all to FLAC (or Apple Lossless).

AIFF is an uncompressed format and therefore not really suitable for storing music that's intended to be played not edited. As far as I know, the only practical use for AIFF is you want to edit the audio material itself. I don't believe there is a standard way of tagging it either - because it really isn't intended for the kind of purpose you're using it for, where tagging has an obvious value. That's probably at the root of your problem.

A losslessly compressed format, such as FLAC, would have all the information in the file - unlike a lossy format, such as MP3 - yet be a more manageable size. Play, which you mention, will play both FLACs and Apple Lossless. Same for Songbird.

burak

Re: Tag and/or file format conversion etc.

Post by burak » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Thank you.