A few suggestions

Discuss Tag, an open source metadata editor for audio files.
Lunchbox16

A few suggestions

Post by Lunchbox16 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:36 pm

First off, I love tag. I think it's a great program. There are, however, a few tweaks that would make it even better (in my opinion).

First, some sort of auto-numbering command that will enter track numbers in a batch as opposed to doing every single one individually.

Second, along these same lines, a batch process for entering titles, whether they can be drawn from a .txt document or open a window for text to be entered (see auto-name function in xACT), would save a lot of keystrokes and mouse clicks.

Finally, I don't know if it's possible, but the ability to add album art would be really nice. I don't know if that would exceed the standard memory limits, but it would be nice (especially if a FLAC player emerges similar to iTunes that can display artwork).

Just some thoughts. Thanks again for all the great apps. (I'm looking forward to see how RIP compares to XLD and EAC).

Lunchbox16

Re: A few suggestions

Post by Lunchbox16 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:42 am

I was tagging some FLACs on my PC today for the first time in a long time and I was using mp3tag to do so. There's a neat feature in that program that uses information from the file name and converts it to the tags. So if a file is titled "01 - Eyes Of The World" you tell the string "%track% - %title%" and that information is then put in the appropriate tag fields. I don't know if something along these lines is possible, but it'd be efficient for the end-user.

Cheers!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:22 am

Lunchbox16 wrote:I was tagging some FLACs on my PC today for the first time in a long time and I was using mp3tag to do so. There's a neat feature in that program that uses information from the file name and converts it to the tags. So if a file is titled "01 - Eyes Of The World" you tell the string "%track% - %title%" and that information is then put in the appropriate tag fields. I don't know if something along these lines is possible, but it'd be efficient for the end-user.
This is one feature that is already available- try the "Guess tags" menu item.

Lunchbox16

Post by Lunchbox16 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:17 pm

Awesome! I had a feeling I was missing something. Thanks for the heads up.

keytohwy

Post by keytohwy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:16 pm

I tag a lot of live shows, so I usually have a track list that I have to type into Tag by hand for each track. Would it be possible to paste in just the text of the song titles, one title per line, and have Tag apply each line to the track title, sequentially?

Does that make sense?

keytohwy

Lunchbox16

Post by Lunchbox16 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:31 pm

While the Guess function works well for CDs I rip and FLAC, I have the same problem when I want to tag live shows. xACT has an imperfect auto-naming function where you input the file names in a text box (separated by commas or by line) and it then applies the names (and track numbers, I believe) to the FLAC tags. The problem I've encountered with this is that I cannot do more than one show at a time. I have to quit and re-start the program to re-set the textbox (if that makes sense). Otherwise the next show I try to tag will have the same titles as the previous one I tagged. A similar function, although hopefully one that would work more efficiently, would be great for Tag (which is already my go-to Tagging app.)