Last data entered is not saved

Discuss Tag, an open source metadata editor for audio files.
davebarnes

Last data entered is not saved

Post by davebarnes » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:13 pm

I open a FLAC file with Tag.
I enter the year.
I select a genre.
I enter a composer.
I save the file.

I quit Tag.
I open the same file with Tag and the composer field is blank.

I find that if I do not click in another field after entering data in a field, then the data entered in that field is not saved.

Max appears to have the same behavior.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com

RonaldPR

Re: Last data entered is not saved

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:19 am

Correct. Several users complained about that. It is also true when for instance entering values in Max preferences. You can hit TAB or RETURN after entering the last value to make it stick.

mattn

Post by mattn » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:31 am

I find that if I do not click in another field after entering data in a field, then the data entered in that field is not saved.
This is easily fixed and in fact I have made myself a build of Tag in which it is fixed. Just check "continuously updates value" in the Bindings pane in Interface Builder.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:54 am

mattn wrote: This is easily fixed and in fact I have made myself a build of Tag in which it is fixed. Just check "continuously updates value" in the Bindings pane in Interface Builder.
This is true, but has ramifications for undo which is why this isn't the default behavior.

mattn

Post by mattn » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:15 pm

sbooth wrote:
mattn wrote: This is easily fixed and in fact I have made myself a build of Tag in which it is fixed. Just check "continuously updates value" in the Bindings pane in Interface Builder.
This is true, but has ramifications for undo which is why this isn't the default behavior.
The interface needs to be fixed; "Continuously updates value" fixes it, and is correct behavior. If that also exposes a bug in the app's Undo architecture, fine; that's a new problem, and might need to be fixed too.

(I can think of various ways to do that.)

Anyhow, Undo isn't as important to me as Do! My problem was that I was making all these edits and then later finding out that I didn't make them. Tag was undoing them when it shouldn't have. I'd rather have no Undo than have Tag Undo where it shouldn't (especially since if necessary I can always close a file without saving it).