read and write drive offsets

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
jas1612

read and write drive offsets

Post by jas1612 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:52 am

If you are trying to rip a disc perfectly the drive offsets are important. I have been trying to find a program I can use on my mac and will be accepted by trading communities as being accurate. There is a service called accuraterip that is used by EAC and DBpoweramp. It corrects the readoffsets automatically and after you do that the write offset is easy to fix.
That would be great if MAX had these features
By the way, Thanks for working on quality Mac software

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:29 am

I am with you on this one. :)
It would be great if Max allowed us to set the read offset value in the Preferences, and pass it to cdparanoia.

AccurateRip have a massive drive offset list, which might be useful:
http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:26 pm

sbooth. I dont know how much work this is, but it dont sound too advanced.
Please consider adding a setting in "Max -> Preferences -> Ripper", where we manually enter a drive offset value. Which you then pass on to cdparanoia with the "--sample-offset" command.

Or at least comment on this! :wink:

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:52 pm

krmathis wrote:sbooth. I dont know how much work this is, but it dont sound too advanced.
Please consider adding a setting in "Max -> Preferences -> Ripper", where we manually enter a drive offset value. Which you then pass on to cdparanoia with the "--sample-offset" command.
I've been holding off on this because I am currently working on a new ripper. In theory, the new ripper will do this :)

Regarding the current setup, I would have to implement offset correction manually because I am using the paranoia libs, not calling out to cdparanoia.

I believe that (as you said) offsets are fairly trivial to implement except in two cases:
  • a negative offset when reading the first track
  • a positive offset when reading the last track
I would have to read up again on the physical layout of a CD, but I think these two cases would require reading outside of the user area. Glancing at the paranoia source it isn't clear to me how these two cases are handled...

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Oh, I understand.
I thought the cdparanoia library could be used to correct read offset, just like the binary. But since it cant, perhaps you should use your time to improve your new ripper engine instead? :D