Converting to same format in same folder = deleted files

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
Yonzie

Converting to same format in same folder = deleted files

Post by Yonzie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:59 am

First, I ripped a few CDs. I *thought* I ripped them to ALAC, but due to an earlier conversion session, they were made into MP3s.
I then tried converting the files to MP3 (falsely believing they were ALAC) and since they were already in the output folder (just been ripped moments before) output and input folders were the same.
First, I got a warning per track about whether or not I wanted to overwrite the existing file. I obviously clicked "No".
Then I got an cryptic error per track about it not being able to read them, and then they were all gone...
I have obviously not selected "Delete source files after conversion", although I believe I selected "overwrite existing output files" with the prompt.

Also, I find it illogical that the output format selection in the conversion dialog alters the formats selected under preferences. If I am ripping a bunch of CDs and then want to convert a few tracks for my cell phone or something, then all the following CDs will be converted to whatever format my phone wants... Not ideal.

I'm using r1132 btw. Thanks!
Project complete: 625 CDs containing 8574 tracks ripped and scanned.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:50 pm

I've added some more logic to this. Now, if the output file is the same as the input file a new output file will automatically be created. So it won't be possible to delete the input file as you experienced.

Another behavioral question that I came across while fixing this is whether or not encoding should continue to a new output file or stop if the user does not want to overwrite the existing output file. I can see arguments either way.

Regarding the way output formats are handled- a few betas ago there were separate settings for conversion and ripping, but most people did not like having to specify two different sets of output formats.

Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:52 pm

sbooth wrote:I've added some more logic to this. Now, if the output file is the same as the input file a new output file will automatically be created. So it won't be possible to delete the input file as you experienced.
[imagine this is a thumbs up smiley]
sbooth wrote:Another behavioral question that I came across while fixing this is whether or not encoding should continue to a new output file or stop if the user does not want to overwrite the existing output file. I can see arguments either way.
Put it in the dialog.
[Overwrite] [Rename] [Cancel]
Rename then adds a " 1" or something to the end of the file.
sbooth wrote:Regarding the way output formats are handled- a few betas ago there were separate settings for conversion and ripping, but most people did not like having to specify two different sets of output formats.
What I meant was not to have to specify different output formats, just the selection of them.
If I specify, say, ALAC, AAC and MP3 as formats, they should appear in both dialogs.
I can then select ALAC under preferences and MP3+AAC in conversion and my selection one place won't affect the other.
Obviously, if I manipulate the settings of the MP3 specification, it should change globally. If people want multiple settings of the same formats they can create multiple specifications with nicknames (at least that's what it looks like you would suggest)

If the above is the same as the previous handling of it, then please ignore my comment. In any case, I guess it needs further commenting from other users.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:38 pm

This is a interface problem. A few beta versions ago preference settings were moved to different other windows, which was not practical and very confusing. People asked to please move all those settings back to where they belong, in the preferences window.

However, the list of chosen output formats stayed in the File Conversion window and now there are two different places in the interface where one can set the very same preference settings. This is definitely confusing. It should not be possible for a setting that was set in preferences to be changed somewhere else in the interface.

A solution could be to remove the list with chosen output formats from the File Conversion window and only keep the button "Setup output formats..." which opens the 'Formats' preferences tab. That way one still has direct access to these settings, but now in the one single place where they can be set and changed.

For consistency, I think the same button should be available at the bottom of the album window where one choses the tracks to be ripped.

Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Good points. It would be nice to be able to have a different conversion default than encoding default, but I guess people rarely does both at the same time and it would clearly be the easiest and most logical.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:39 pm

Good ideas Yonzie! I'm not sure why adding a "Cancel" button to the dialog didn't occur to me. I've checked in a change so now if the output file exists and it is different from the input file, you are prompted "The file xxx exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" with buttons for "Cancel", "Yes", and "No" as the default.

I have contemplated moving the format selection out of the file conversion dialog box and into its own utility window. This way, you would set up output formats in the preferences but select which are active in the floating window. The format selection in both the preferences and file conversion window would go away.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:40 pm

sbooth wrote:I have contemplated moving the format selection out of the file conversion dialog box and into its own utility window. This way, you would set up output formats in the preferences but select which are active in the floating window. The format selection in both the preferences and file conversion window would go away.
That would be another one of those floating windows or palettes that are in the habit of being in the way, covering other items you need or want to see, unless you happen to have a really large screen? It would not be favorite solution, but that is also because I never use anything else than FLAC. So for me it is a one time setting in prefs.

rodb

Post by rodb » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:18 am

Have it as an option in preferences.

Ignore same format.

Ask if same format.

Encode same format.

This was a problem for me. I had a large folder of half FLAC half m4a. I dropped it on Max to convert all to m4a. Would have been better for me to have Max ignore same format. Would have been a pain if forced to answer a dialog box for each m4a it encountered.

One thing I discovered in this process is that Max totally stops if it encounters an error on a particular file. Another topic probably...

Keep up the good work on max. Max is appreciated very much.

Rod