MusicBrainz vs. FreeDB

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
Yonzie

Post by Yonzie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:52 pm

I just wanted to comment that Musicbrainz support is completely awesome.
With freedb there was only a 50% chance of the genre being correct, so the omission has increased my tagging correctness since I am now forced to enter it instead of noticing it was filled out and not considering if it was the proper genre.
In addition, the correctness of the track titles have increased immeasurably. I almost don't even check them because there are hardly any errors.
Project complete: 625 CDs containing 8574 tracks ripped and scanned.

goldenratiophi

Post by goldenratiophi » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:30 pm

I quite like the new MusicBrainz support. I just noticed how much I don't miss having 4 different entries for the same album, years off by +/-1, many generes for the same artist, incorrect composers, and inconsistent comments. I don't need that stuff anyway, especiall when I browse by just by Artist/Album.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:24 am

Well, I just ripped/encoded an album (Dreamgirls, 2CD, soundtrack) using Max 0.7.
MusicBrains stinks.

I am not blaming SteveB for anything, as I understand the issues around music databases.

MusicBrainz stinks because:
The database does not have enough fields.
For example: artist. Who is the artist? The composer? The lyricist? The person/group playing the instruments? The person/group singing the lyrics?

For someone (i.e., me) who is trying to move his music from CDs to hard disk, all of the databases suck. And, don't get me started on classical music.

It is very sad that none of the people who created these databases thought beyond pop music and one year.

</end_rant>

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:04 pm

I don't really mind all the dozen fields about a song as long as I get the right album name, song name and artist (whoever is singing the song) name fine.

but musicbrainz just has pretty bad accuracy on those things, at least to my japanese cd i ripped, 50% or so were inaccurately fetched and typing them all by hand is...tedius, while freedb (though im not really following what happened to freedb except knowing that the guy in charge felt like quitting) actually had quite good accuracy.

so, having both as a switchable option sounds nice though. though i heard u already removed freedb support.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:09 pm

It would not be difficult to add the FreeDB code back in if people wanted support for both.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:37 pm

sbooth wrote:It would not be difficult to add the FreeDB code back in if people wanted support for both.
That would be very nice.

It is clear to me that FreeDB has a better database design (not necessarily better data) than MusicBrainz.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:21 pm

davebarnes wrote:It is clear to me that FreeDB has a better database design (not necessarily better data) than MusicBrainz.
Unfortunately this isn't really true. For example, in FreeDB there is no way to represent an artist with a "/" in their name.

In any case, I will look into resurrecting the FreeDB code so users will have a choice between MusicBrainz and FreeDB.

davebarnes

Post by davebarnes » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:31 am

My desire is that when I rip to FLAC, I get the most/all/best data into the FLAC meta.

After that (this week), I don't care.

You decide what is best as you pay much more attention to this that I do.

Did I tell that I LOVE Max.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024

ajs

Musicbrainz tags

Post by ajs » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:45 am

First of all, I'd like to say that I think it's a major plus point that Max now works with MusicBrainz.

However, it would be even better if the MUSICBRAINZ_* ids were included in the tags for those formats that support it. Information on these tags can be found in the MusicBrainz Wiki.

I understand the rest of the tags are contentious and the preferences allow them to be configured, but those tags allow post-processing to be a lot easier.

For the record, my use-case is a custom script that scans all my FLAC files and syncs tags and shuffles them around in my library. Having those tags makes things a lot easier.

- Andrew

topcat

Post by topcat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:22 pm

I would love support for FreeDB as an option. MusicBrainz dows always have the info for the album Im adding. Is there a way we could have the option to pick?
Also, iTunes seems to get track info most of teh time, is there a way we could have a pass though? Say we look up teh info in itunes, it saves teh info, and max then reads it?
Would be cool to get all three as option to pick!

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:22 am

Instead, it should look up where iTunes is looking up... instead of iTunes itself only knowning the songs loaded in your own iTunes, if that is a viable option, though I don't know at where iTunes is looking it up.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:05 am

Sithgunner wrote:Instead, it should look up where iTunes is looking up... instead of iTunes itself only knowning the songs loaded in your own iTunes, if that is a viable option, though I don't know at where iTunes is looking it up.
This is coming back to the whole GraceNote issue; see http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=108 for more info.

sleach

Post by sleach » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:34 am

I would really like being able to choose to query freedb or musicbrainz. For me I think if I had the option of freedb or musicbrainz more often than not one of the databases would have the CD info I am looking for.

I also think that it would be beneficial for PLAY to have the option to query musicbrainz or freedb. Keep up the good work. I use Cog daily, max weekly and am highly anticipating play.

--Scott--

tomars

Post by tomars » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:41 pm

I would like freedb also. I don't think MusicBrainz is as qood as they'd like to think it is. I find it annoying to have "(ft. some random artist)" in the track title. I like sorting by year and having no year tag is annoying.
Thanks

tomhayes

I'd like to get back FreeDb or use iTunes lookups

Post by tomhayes » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:46 am

Musicbrainz doesn't seem to have about 50% of the CD that I'm converting and gives me *a lot* of weird german House music and random UTF8 looking stuff.

Thanks in advance.