Alternative to Logging?

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
khead

Alternative to Logging?

Post by khead » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:26 pm

I basically don’t use logging at all due to it’s slowdown problem.

I do find it real useful to keep an eye on the ripping speed - That is, if I see the ripping slows down or stalls at certain percentage points during a song, I go and listen to those approximate parts of the song for possible problems. This really works quite well, and beats having to listen to the entire song scrunched up and straining to hear defects.

The problem is that this requires actively watching the rip progress while it’s happening.

Might it be practical to store the ripping speed relative to the song time line and display this in some useful way?
I would think that something like a color coded progress bar would be ideal. It could go from green to red to indicate how much work paranoia is doing at any position:
Green full speed - no problems
Yellow - some slowdown - possible problems
Red - extreme slowdown - problems likely

khead

Post by khead » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:18 am

Or ... a much better variation on this idea:

Have the option to have MAX stop automatically ripping as soon as there are any problem sectors reported in the log.
That would be the que to pull out the CD and perform a little disk hygiene on it.
Continue ripping again from the beginning of that track, and see if you adequately repaired the problem - the test being that it completes ripping all the way through.

Forget what I sad above about having it time based (what a stupid idea .... )

Having a trigger based on logging results should be very useful and easy (I think) to implement. It could have some sort of variable sensativity by varying the trigger piont based on numbers and types of errors reported.

Rather than ripping all the way through, and going back to check the log to see if there are enough problems to re-rip (which you can't even really do with MAX's logs), just do it dynamically as it's happeing.
Would save a lot of needless wear and tear on the CD drives too. Sometimes rips can go on for hours when just a couple of minutes spent repairing the CD would have made it go in minutes...

Right now MAX can work very good as a ripper, but you really need to baby-sit it to get the most out of it.

All I want is fair warning if there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. This seems like one reasonable to do it.