Secure ripping

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
krmathis

Post by krmathis » Wed May 17, 2006 12:41 pm

I have been using my own trunk build from svn since you put out the new ripper, and I have ripped ~10 CD's without any problems.

I use the Comparison Ripper with 3 matches pr. sector and max. retries set to 20. Which work great for me.

You're certainly on the right track to create a secure ripper for Mac OS X! :)

dZp

Post by dZp » Wed May 17, 2006 9:33 pm

I've also been ripping a few CD's very successfully (using the svn) with same settings as krmathis.

One thing that would be nice is to have Max automatically generate a log file that is similar in style to what EAC spits out, showing that the (flac) rip is perfect with CRC checksum.
Track 1
Filename ~ 01 - One.wav

Pre-gap length 0:00:02.00

Peak level 100.0 %
Track quality 100.0 %
Test CRC E003D608
Copy CRC E003D608
Copy OK
And also provide the option to generate a cue sheet even when not encoding selected tracks to a single file.

But all in all, I'm very happy with the progress of the application. Keep up the good work. :wink:

chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven » Mon May 22, 2006 1:26 am

Could someone post a compiled build from SVN so I could do some testing on the CD's I was having problems with?

Specifically I want to test a couple of CD's that just had noise when ripped and several enhanced CD's I have.

LagunaSol

Post by LagunaSol » Mon May 22, 2006 2:31 pm

Any idea on when the secure ripping version of Max will be ready to roll? I dumped my PC when I bought my Intel iMac (hence no more EAC) and have CDs itching to be ripped...

Please let it be soon.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon May 22, 2006 3:20 pm

I have one feature I am finishing up- once that is done (hopefully in a few days) and the German localization is complete I will release a 0.6 "GM" version. Hopefully the final will follow shortly after that!

LagunaSol

Post by LagunaSol » Mon May 22, 2006 4:04 pm

Excellent! Can't wait to get my hands on it. You da man!

macfeller

Post by macfeller » Mon May 22, 2006 11:48 pm

Holy crap! Well, that's all I really gots to say. You folk, the Tag&Max/Cog team(s) are the greatest. Seldom have I *SO* wanted to pay for something. What y'all are doing is wonderful. Nothing but.

If you insist on being free, might I ask you offer a cause/need for which I could throw some dinero? (Not that I got much - an effin' teacher married to a teacher - how stoopid am I?)

Thank you,

mf

aka

Post by aka » Tue May 30, 2006 3:35 pm

Big Thanks, Stephen - just finished my virgin rip with new secure ripper (v0.6) - excellent results - this is very exciting!

I'd like to second dZp's request for an EAC-esque log output:
Track 1
Filename ~ 01 - One.wav

Pre-gap length 0:00:02.00

Peak level 100.0 %
Track quality 100.0 %
Test CRC E003D608
Copy CRC E003D608
Copy OK

this is a Great Day for Mac Rippers! :P

LagunaSol

Post by LagunaSol » Tue May 30, 2006 3:50 pm

And here I was launching Parallels for another desperate attempt to get EAC to work (always fails me in Parallels) when I saw that Max .6 had been posted. Yeeehaw! Ripping now.

Has anyone put .6 through its paces with a heavily-damaged disc yet?

djb

Post by djb » Tue May 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Hi there

I just tested comparison ripper with a know faulty disc - EAC throws up missing sampes and read errors on it.
Max however rips it fine with no errors, but the resulting files does have audio artifacts.

I haven't tried the same disc using the paranoia settings so I don't know about that yet.

I'm not using SHA-256 and have 20 required matches and 20 retries set.

LagunaSol

Post by LagunaSol » Tue May 30, 2006 5:29 pm

djb wrote:Hi there

I just tested comparison ripper with a know faulty disc - EAC throws up missing sampes and read errors on it.
Max however rips it fine with no errors, but the resulting files does have audio artifacts.

I haven't tried the same disc using the paranoia settings so I don't know about that yet.

I'm not using SHA-256 and have 20 required matches and 20 retries set.
Ouch, you just killed my confidence in the secure ripping function...

djb

Post by djb » Tue May 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Sorry about that.. I'm a bit disappointed also, but I should say that the disc I tested this with is a DEFINITE faulty disc - it's got bronze corrosion (CD rot) so some of the data on the last track is physically missing.
It SHOULD error without any doubt.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 30, 2006 6:43 pm

djb wrote:I just tested comparison ripper with a know faulty disc - EAC throws up missing sampes and read errors on it.

Yikes! I guess I need to get a disc like that for further testing...

ye

Post by ye » Tue May 30, 2006 7:52 pm

Perhaps I miss the point :oops: ... but perhaps you mix up two things.

a) extracting the exact "physical" information contained on the disk (including possible damaged areas).

and

b) retrieving the exact data that once was stored on the disk.

There is nothing odd in reading a disk 20 times and extract 20 times the same information in terms of a) even if the disk is defective.

What does not mean that you have retrieved the original information (in the sense of b)) without errors.

djb

Post by djb » Tue May 30, 2006 8:28 pm

That's absolutely correct, I wasn't suggesting I should be able to extract information that is no longer there, just that there is no indication that there are errors, or missing samples, when the disc is ripped.

As a comparison ripper Max is doing exactly what it says it's doing, but I think people might be expecting it to be a "secure" ripper like EAC, which it doesn't seem to be just yet.

I just wanted to share my initial experience with the new version and I'm certainly no technical guru on this stuff.

:) Keep up the good work!