ripping without encoding, and unixy improvements

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
danpritts

ripping without encoding, and unixy improvements

Post by danpritts » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:24 am

So to follow up on my posts from the thread in the help forum, here's what I would like.

The real goal is to rip things as fast as possible, and delay encoding until later, and/or on another machine.

This is simple enough with max with one exception: I'd like to be able to capture metadata from the freedb lookup for inclusion in my final encoded flac/mp3 file.

The way I've done this on linux, with grip, is to hack grip's configuration so that I end up with a wav file and a file that has nothing but an id3 tag. i name this file foo.id3only.

I have a cron job on my linux server in the basement that looks for "id3only" files, encodes the corresponding wav file to flac, and then copies the id3 tag to the flac file (yes, i know i should really be using native flac, or vorbis tags, but most players will understand the id3 tags on the flacs).

This was invaluable while ripping my cd collection - i had three cd drives running simultaneously to rip, and was able to turn off the machine that had the CD drives when i was done ripping, confident that my server downstairs (which was on anyway) would encode all night until things were compressed.

Another thing I'd like to be able to do is to be able to run a command at the end of ripping every disk before it's ejected. I use this to run cdda2wav to capture some track spacing metadata so i can recreate the original cd if necessary. however, the potential applications are limitless.

Grip also allows you to do something like this for each individual track - I don't use this but I can imagine it would be handy.

finally, it would be nice to have an option for unix friendly file and directory naming. Again, grip does this. Things like replacing spaces with underscores, all lowercase, stripping shell metacharacters, etc. I'd be happy to get you the specifics on what grip does, as i'm sure its author has thought about a good set of characters to strip.

thanks for writing max & making it available, and thanks for considering these features.

danpritts

kludge using file naming to hold tag info

Post by danpritts » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:05 am

It occurred to me the other day that i could probably kludge all the tag info into the wav file name, so that part isn't too important.

Having the unix-friendly file naming (most important) and external filters per song and per disc would still be a big plus.