File Conversion (was: Re build 753)

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
Fuga

File Conversion (was: Re build 753)

Post by Fuga » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:23 pm

still have issue of conversion results going to Default even when another location is chosen.

naming of resulting files is good.

kudos to krmathis for hosting the builds!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Re build 753

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:01 pm

Fuga wrote:still have issue of conversion results going to Default even when another location is chosen.
This is very strange, because I've checked and rechecked the code, and tested it numerous times, and it all seems to work properly for me. I will send you another development build to try out and see if it works any better. Maybe I messed up the svn checkin...

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Strange indeed. I've tried on two different users. I'll try the one you send on a different machine (though have no idea why that would mean anything).

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:41 pm

I seem to have a different pattern.
Regardless what I set as Output Directory (Default, Desktop, ..) it always output to the same directory as the source file.
Same happens if I use source tracks from different directories.

Off topic. I can't delete tracks from the "Files to be converted" window with pressing the usual backspace, or command-backspace key combination. Is this a known bug, or feature?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:59 pm

krmathis wrote:Off topic. I can't delete tracks from the "Files to be converted" window with pressing the usual backspace, or command-backspace key combination. Is this a known bug, or feature?
Neither- I just hadn't gotten around to adding it yet. I just committed a patch in svn so the delete key will remove the selected files from the list.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:30 pm

Sorry, Stephen. Output still goes to Default. Tried on a different machine using a new user with nothing else running.

OS X 10.4.6
400 MHz G3 iMac

also failed on main machines

OS X 10.4.7
1.33 GHz G4 iBook

and

OS X 1.4.7
1 GHz G4 PowerBook

sbooth
Site Admin

Problem solved

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:56 pm

OK, I figured out what the problem was- I have no idea why things appeared to be working properly on my machine, but my mistake was so obvious that I overlooked it! In any case I've checked in the fix to svn.

Thanks for everyone's patience and assistance in tracking this one down!

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:47 am

Ha! Don't you hate mysteries (at least of this sort)?

As for thanks: Are you kidding me? All the thanks go to you. I find it exciting to watch a premiere app, and one that I will use daily, being developed before my eyes.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:27 am

@sbooth. No, thank you for creating this excellent tool! :)

I have compiled a fresh revision 759 build, and after some investigation I found what caused my problem.
Ticking "Save converted files to the same location..." in 'Preferences -> Output' override the output directory in 'File -> Convert Files...'.

As I see it this "Save convert files..." setting should only be used for 'Windows -> Convert'. Cause 'File -> Convert Files...' have its own output directory selector. Any opinions?

@Fuga. See if this build fix the problems you have...
http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/applic ... rev759.dmg

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:53 pm

Works perfectly! Thanks, y'all.

As for the suggestion I concur. It goes with my whole way of using Max. Sometimes I'm doing one thing, another time another thing and in another way.

The current Convert Files window now flows great. Could not the ripping/encode window have the output option add, too?

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:00 am

Bump!
Stephen, do you have a comment on the "Save converted files to the same location..." setting? :wink:

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:51 pm

I'm thinking that the Convert Files window should have a checkbox underneath the output directory popup button that says "Same as original" or something similar. When selected, it would disable the directory popup button. That way, the functionality could be moved from the preferences to the window but people would still be able to convert "in-place".

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:26 pm

That sounds like a good idea.
Move the mentioned checkbox from Preferences to the 'Convert Files' window.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:58 pm

krmathis wrote:Move the mentioned checkbox from Preferences to the 'Convert Files' window.
Yes, along with the option to delete source files after encoding. I've done a quick hack to get this working and I like the way the window is shaping up.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:59 pm

Revision 762 seem to have a bug in the File Conversion process.
I drop a M3 or ALAC file into the window, set output to any format (LAME or ALAC) and press OK. The conversion window pop up and do its job, but the encoder window never opens after this.
A regression from the 762 checkin maybe?