Musepack (MPC)

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
FLACuncompressed

Musepack (MPC)

Post by FLACuncompressed » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:30 pm

I notice that, just as an example, Allofmp3.com offers Musepack MPC files and considering iTunes doesn't play them I want to double-check we can convert them with Max...I don't think we can?

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Musepack (MPC)

Post by sbooth » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:27 pm

FLACuncompressed wrote:I notice that, just as an example, Allofmp3.com offers Musepack MPC files and considering iTunes doesn't play them I want to double-check we can convert them with Max...I don't think we can?
No, not yet. It is on my long list of things to do- I plan on adding Shorten and Musepack support at some point in the future.

FLACuncompressed

Post by FLACuncompressed » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:44 pm

OK. Glad you have considered it.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:34 pm

I've added Musepack conversion, but not encoding (yet) to the svn version.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:25 pm

I have put up the latest SVN version, with MusePack decoding support.
http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=258

Perhaps some of you MusePack users can give it a test? :wink:

wasted

Post by wasted » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:16 am

At first, thanks a lot for your hard work. Max is definitively one of my favorite applications.

I love Musepack, and used it a lot for high bitrate encodings on Windows.
I've tryed the SVN 788. The convertion itself works flawlessly. But the resulting file is bad. It has cracklings, the amount of cracklings depend on the song. Both MP3 en OGG encodings of the tested files gave the cracklings, so this must be a decoding problem.
Here is an extract : http://ranafout.net/mpc-1.mp3

I hope this helps you and I'm looking forward for the next SVN updates - thank you krmathis for providing us with them.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:47 pm

wasted wrote:I love Musepack, and used it a lot for high bitrate encodings on Windows.
I've tryed the SVN 788. The convertion itself works flawlessly. But the resulting file is bad. It has cracklings, the amount of cracklings depend on the song. Both MP3 en OGG encodings of the tested files gave the cracklings, so this must be a decoding problem.
Here is an extract : http://ranafout.net/mpc-1.mp3
That definitely doesn't sound right! At first glance I can't see the source of the problem- would you be able to send me a Musepack file (or snippet) to work with? It would help with the debugging. Also, what type of machine (Intel or PPC) are you running on?

wasted

Post by wasted » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:22 am

Take a look at your PM, you'll find an url to get the source mpc. I'm gonna connect an external drive later and test the conversion on other songs.

I have an iBook running 10.4.7.

Thank you for taking a look at it.

Edit : I haven't told you before but I think cracklings occur on some frequenzies, I have another song who hasen't that much problems and isn't as "loud" as the first one. You have the source in your PM.