FLAC in iTunes

Discuss the current and future development of Max.

Would it be a good idea to make it possible to play FLAC files in iTunes?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:33 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 4

engpjp

FLAC in iTunes

Post by engpjp » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:33 pm

Much as I love Max - it is a great program, and I admire the effort that goes into its constant improvement - I wish it were possible to play FLAC files directly in iTunes, without any conversion needed.

I know there is at least one plug-in that enables another format to be played there - Lame, as I recall - so it must be possible to develop one for FLAC also. Perhaps based on the public domain library used in Max?

I'm one of those that couldn't program an addition application to save my life, so I know it is forward of me to try and get others to carry the weight of my harebrained schemes - still, maybe a more capable person could see the same advantages that I do? Anyone?

Kind regards,
Peter J. Pedersen

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:32 pm

It would be great if someone made a QuickTime Component for the open-source audio codecs out there.

Xiph QuickTime Components allow iTunes to play Ogg Vorbis and Ogg FLAC files. But not native FLAC files, yet.
Something like this for FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio, Musepack, etc would be great... :)

But I prefer that Stephen concentrate on improving Max, instead of creating a new application.