File Output: Multiple Folders

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
eighteesix

File Output: Multiple Folders

Post by eighteesix » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:38 am

If this hasn't been requested before, I'd be surprised.

Similar to how dbpoweramp outputs its files, I would LOVE to see Max be able to output its conversion queue to multiple folders, so instead of having Filename, Filename-1, Filename-2, etc, I would like to see multiple formats being converted where you'll have the same file names repeated, be separated into different folders, like this:

--ALAC
--Filename
--FLAC
--Filename
--MP3
--Filename

The reason for this is because renaming hundreds of audio files is a huge pain in the butt!

Thanks!

RonaldPR

Re: File Output: Multiple Folders

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:11 am

You can set a custom output format (path and file name) in Max Preferences. You can choose a path and file name format using the format specifiers.
For instance: {albumTitle} {fileFormat}/{trackNumber} {trackArtist} - {trackTitle} will save track files in a separate album folder for each format.

eighteesix

Post by eighteesix » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:35 pm

Yes, but if you're trying to convert to MP3 320/V0/V2 all at once, the output goes to one MP3 folder, therefore you still get files with the same name therefore adding the -1 -2 -3 to the end of the filename which is incredibly annoying. Anything we can do about that?

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:11 am

Well, in your OP you did specify separate formats. Why do you need/want 3 MP3?

eighteesix

Post by eighteesix » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:55 am

Fuga wrote:Well, in your OP you did specify separate formats. Why do you need/want 3 MP3?
different bitrates. V0, V2, 320, etc

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:14 am

eighteesix wrote:
Fuga wrote:Well, in your OP you did specify separate formats. Why do you need/want 3 MP3?
1. SORTING

I suppose you could use the different filenames that your procedure results in as a basis for re-sorting and moving the files with a script. So you could find someone who's a dab hand at scripting to write you one that looks for files that end, say, "1.mp3" and move them to a directory called V2 and ones that end, say, "2.mp3" and move them to a directory called 320. I'm not a Unix guy, but I suppose this means using the find command with a wildcard together with cp to copy the files to another location.

You may, alternatively, be able to do it with existing tools: Media Rage certainly has a cataloguing tool, "Organizer", that is capable of re-sorting audio files and moving them into different hierarchies. I can't recall what basis you can ask it to sort on, however, and I haven't got a copy of it on this machine, so I can't check. If you can sort on either "filename ends in" or "bitrate equals" then I guess you're away. I think you can download a trial version.

2. RENAMING

Having got the files sorted, it would be simple enough to remove the extraneous 1s and 2s by batch-renaming. Myself I'd use the ForkLift file-manager ( http://www.binarynights.com/ ) to do that, because it's got a batch-renaming function in it. You obviously wouldn't get that if you didn't already have it unless you wanted a file-manager anyway for other reasons, but I expect there are little programs that only do batch-renaming. Try searching at Version Tracker under batch-renaming. Some batch-renamers listed there look to be free. Or for this too you could use a script.

Or, again, you could probably use existing tools. Media Rage also has a "File Renamer" tool that will rename a file on the basis of what information is in the tags. It also has a "Tool Chain" tool, so you may be able to chain together tasks 1 and 2 - set it to move the files and then rename them.

3. CONCLUSION

So, yeah, you may be able to do it a tool, or a combination of different tools, that are out there. Scripting might, however, be as good - and a cheaper route to go. But that depends on if you've got a friend that can write you the scripts. I think the post-processing that you want to do pretty unusual but not in itself inherently difficult to script. It's the kind of task that cries out for that, because it would be just such a pain to do by hand.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:30 pm

eighteesix wrote:
I know; I read your response above. I asked why. Just curious.

eighteesix

Post by eighteesix » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:52 pm

because i like having some music in multiple bitrates