Consolidating Max's GUI

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
Nubben

Consolidating Max's GUI

Post by Nubben » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:10 pm

Stephen,

I keep using your product every day and think it's great.

However, one thing which kind of annoys me is the different windows popping up when various processes are running (read encoder, ripper, log etc.). The windows tend to pop up in different places on the screen as well so there is no neat way of dragging one window to the side and one window to the bottom etc.

I think the program would benefit greatly from pulling all windows into one program. Maybe even an iTunes-like interface where one could see all the separate windows but "under one roof" sort of speak.

Have you considered this before?

Just my 2cs.

Best,
Nubben

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Consolidating Max's GUI

Post by sbooth » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:46 pm

I have, but I'm not sold on the idea. Please file an enhancement request using the issue tracker.

Nubben

Post by Nubben » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:28 am

Ok, I will do that. AT leats it would be nice if Max could remember the window positions. Now they can pop up anywhere on the screen and if one wants an organised desktop one has to drag them around all the time.

Many thanks.

Nubben

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:51 pm

Someone beat you to it: http://trac.sbooth.org/Max/ticket/4

Nubben

Post by Nubben » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:54 am

Stephen,

That looks very interesting.

Last weekend I purchased dBpoweramp - a Win only program - and installed it on my BootCamp partition. dBpa works great due to its secure ripping and consolidated interface. Ok, I'm not happy about having to boot into Win everytime I am bout to rip some CDs but what can I do...

I think that your app is great but to elevate it to another tier I would suggest the following:

- Consolidated GUI (as mentioned)
- Secure ripping: ok, I know you have said you're not that concerned with secure ripping but Max will never attain the status of a secure ripper until that issue has been sorted out. Believe me, if Max would incorporate the same features as dBpa I would happily switch back - I want to stay in Mac OS X. The author of dBpa has also created the AccurateRip service - which I'm sure you've heard of. This would be free for you to use in Max. Why not implement something like this using the existing Comparison Ripper in Max?
- Tagging: dBpa uses AllMedaGuide as a source for tags and why not use that for Max too. Yes, it does involve a licence but why not add that on top of Max as a nominal charge? If you would charge $10 for Max with a $5/year subscription for AMG, I think you would get even more people using Max. Let alone making some money out of it to "keep you going". I certainly would pay for it. Remember that Max is really the only valid (and practical) alternative on Mac OS X so I think people would pay to stick with the app.

You're probably thinking - "well, why don't you just continue using dBpa instead of Max?" Well, as I said, I would like to stay in Mac OS X and I truly believe you have something great and of great potential here.

Why not take it to the next step?

Kind regards,

Nubben

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:10 am

How does dbpa compare to EAC in ripping? In reputation?

Nubben

Post by Nubben » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:18 am

@Fuga:

It has surpassed EAC as far as I understand it. I did a lot - A LOT - of reading up on the two programs before purchasing. I mean who wants to pay for something (dBpa) when you can get it free (EAC) right?

Well, both prgrams use AccurateRip which is a great feature if you get 3 or more people agreeing (i.e. having matching CRC's) with your rip. If that happens both programs use the burst mode to rip. However, if the CD is not present in the AccurateRip database it will rip securely for as many times as you wan it to. Here is where dBpa and EAC differs.

dBpa uses a similar feature to Max's comparison ripper in that it reads the track over and over again instead of re-reading chunks like EAC. EAC causes the laserhead to move back and forth and creates a lot of stress on the CD drive. dBpa rips "flows" but over and over again. Sometimes I have had to use EAC to re-rip certain tracks on badly scratched CD's where dBpa has failed; so there is room for both. I have (obviously) bot on my machine.

Plus, dBpa's other big selling point is its integration with AllMedia Guide. I tag my files extensively and has always hated entering composers etc. Now, dBpa fills that in for you. iTunes/Gracenote only occasionally spits out the composers as well. dBpa/AMG does it on a regular basis.

I just purchased dBpa last weekend and have only had a week's worth of usage but so far it's my choice of ripper. It's simply the best out there. I rip to AIFF files in Bootamp and drag files over to iTunes (on the Mac side) where I convert to Apple Lossless and AAC. Cumbersome but necessary in my view.

The interesting thing is that (even on new CD's) dBpa/EAC has sometimes failed to rip a CD accurately - not just old ones (and badly scratched). iTunes/Max has ripped these CD's fine which means the likelyhood of errors in the rips from iTunes/Max is great. Especially since there is no log file in Max (or iTunes for that matter) to verify the rip. ANother feature request which has been discussed to death in these forums. Not a top priority of Stephen's which is a shame.

I strongly believe that if Stephen would implement what I listed above, Max would be the true secure ripper for Macs and the Mac world's answer to dBpa/EAC.

Nubben

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Stephen's last response herein gives me hope as regards my most important "needs," especially a decent log (not to assume logging is part of which he refers to).

As for secure ripping, did you read Stephen's last post in the main ripping thread? While he's not very forthcoming other than a general paradigm type thing, IMO he is still interested in the need. But I agree with you and enough others (yes, perhaps not the majority of Max users, but enough) that better ripping is my #1 priority for Max. But by shunning $$ he can, and should be able to, do what he wants. Our loss.

Oh! And thanks for the good info EAC vs. dBpa. I have not bothered to read as much as have you. What do folks say about dBpa's handling, or its approach to, drives' audio caching?

BTW, I do almost exclusively classical and have never found a match in Accurate Rip's database so I am not much concerned with that whole aspect.

Nubben

Post by Nubben » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:05 pm

dBpa will automatically flush the cache if it detects it. Certain Plextor drives may also be able to clear the cache with a feature called FUA (didn't read very much on that since I don't have a Plextor.) I bought a Samsung SE-S204N external drive on Amazon (cheap too) which supports C2 pointers and doesn't cache audio. If you're concerned about that maybe invest in one of those - just to give you peace of mind?

From their website: "...method is the rip-rerip way, the idea is if there is a scratch the re-rip might get a different result so that area of the CD can be ripped many times until there are matches." http://www.dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm This seems to me very much like Max's comparison ripper.

dBpa is also much easier to use than EAC. Very little to set up and I was up and running after 5 min.

I can understand that the AccurateRip feature is not of very much use to you, but dBpa' secure ripper works great.

Yeah, I guess if Stephen would charge for the app he would get tons more requests from people "demanding" the features b/c they paid for the software. That's a valid point I guess.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:27 pm

Nubben wrote:From their website: "...method is the rip-rerip way, the idea is if there is a scratch the re-rip might get a different result so that area of the CD can be ripped many times until there are matches." http://www.dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm This seems to me very much like Max's comparison ripper.
Trouble is, as discussed in the ripping thread, re-read too often reads the same errors the same way. Yes, you get matching checksums, but so what?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 pm

Regarding the use of a commercial metadata database such as AMG or GraceNote, I have looked into it in the past. I cannot remember the exact figures off the top of my head but in the end it was going to cost a large fee up front plus several thousand dollars per month. Obviously this is prohibitive for an application like Max!