Current SVN broken? Can't build Speex framework

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
neil.baldwin

Current SVN broken? Can't build Speex framework

Post by neil.baldwin » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:09 pm

I grabbed the latest SVN trunk and pre-built the frameworks as per instructions. They all compiled except the Speex framework, which throws up this error;

Ld /Users/neilbaldwin/Max/Frameworks/speex/build/intermediate/speex.build/Release/speex.framework.build/Objects-normal/i386/speex normal i386
cd /Users/neilbaldwin/Max/Frameworks/speex
/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -arch i386 -dynamiclib -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -L/Users/neilbaldwin/Max/Frameworks/speex/build/Release -F/Users/neilbaldwin/Max/Frameworks/speex/build/Release -filelist /Users/neilbaldwin/Max/Frameworks/speex/build/intermediate/speex.build/Release/speex.framework.build/Objects-normal/i386/speex.LinkFileList -install_name @executable_path/../Frameworks/speex.framework/Versions/A/speex -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -Wl,-single_module -compatibility_version 1 -current_version 1 -o /Users/neilbaldwin/Max/Frameworks/speex/build/intermediate/speex.build/Release/speex.framework.build/Objects-normal/i386/speex
ld: total output size exceeds 2GB (2671MB)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
** BUILD FAILED **

So as a consequence I can't build Max (fails when linking to the Speex framework)

Anyone know what the problem is? I'm running 10.5.2 on a MacBook with the latest Xcode tools.

Neil

neil.baldwin

Re: Current SVN broken? Can't build Speex framework

Post by neil.baldwin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:50 pm

Weird. I installed Xcode tools on another machine (Mac Pro running same OS X version) and managed to compile Max OK.

Only thing I can think of is that on my MacBook (where I first tried to build it) I only have 2gb of RAM whereas the Mac Pro has 8gb. I'm wondering if this explains the "size exceeds 2gb" error?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 pm

I have no idea on this one. My MBP has 4 GB of RAM and I've never had a problem. My old PowerBook only had 1 GB, though, and it compiled Speex fine.

neil.baldwin

Post by neil.baldwin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks Steve.

I tried building it using Xcode GUI and while it seemed to build OK (there were certainly no errors and the output seemed to be there in the build folder) I still got the same error when trying to build Max i.e. seems to not be able to find Speex framework.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:12 pm

I wonder if this could be a case-sensitive filesystem issue. I will take a look at the Speex project files.

neil.baldwin

Post by neil.baldwin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:50 pm

Steve,

I grabbed everything again and rebuilt and it's now building fine.

Weird one :)