Output into Convert Files toolbar (and more)

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
Fuga

Output into Convert Files toolbar (and more)

Post by Fuga » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:15 pm

Or maybe have it be in the drop down from menu bar Window. It just seems like Max is "all over the place" (but is at least *IS* and for that I am thankful). Metadata is a side-drawer enacted from either the File Conversion window toolbar or the Tools dropdown. Formats is a window available from the Window drop down. And then, of course, all is available from the preferences window.

I like how in the Output preferences>File Naming, when you have the custom option ticked, the user can have several strings available through the popup menu which is accessible from the field entry space. As I have written before, just about every time I use Max it is for a different purpose than the previous use. Where I want the resulting files changes likewise. If a similar popup list was available a la file naming, well, that'd be great - and something to make Formats even more easily available.

More, I have written wanting the Preferences window to always be open due to my varied use. Folks like me change options frequently, and to a lesser degree even some more folks change options occasionally. Folks use the "main" CD ripping window and the File Conversion window, each of which have useful icons in their toolbar. Could options for Output, Format, and Ripper be added there? Or just one for Preferences? I know we can always mouse to Max>Preferences of hit the keystroke. It's just that every single blessed time I use Max I have to use the Preferences window. I have to do so even if I am doing the exact same routine as the previous time since I can never be exactly sure what the settings were.

Bottom line: Max's use for me would be much more elegant if I had the Preferences window always right there. Doing so would obviate the inconsistency of the first paragraph. I apologize if there are GUI and human interface guidelines I am ignorant of. I speak only from my own interaction with an app I use more and more as I embark on a slow conversion of over a 1000 CDs and countless other files already on drives. I am building a library that will reside on different drives for different uses, not to mention CD/DVD archive and various portable devises. The gorgeous beauty of Max is the ease this is already possible in one fell swoop. I just believe said swoop could be even more beautiful.

Thank you for any consideration,

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Output into Convert Files toolbar (and more)

Post by sbooth » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:03 pm

This is great feedback. More to follow on this!

Fuga

Re: Output into Convert Files toolbar (and more)

Post by Fuga » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:19 pm

sbooth wrote:This is great feedback. More to follow on this!
And this is great news. "Be still my beating heart!" Or whatever that standard line is.