make more flexible?

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
macfeller

make more flexible?

Post by macfeller » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:14 pm

I am very much appreciating the changes so as to choose different outcome formats. Much more useful to me.

However, with more use comes a nother bothersome issue: Output Location. That is, where I want things to end up varies as much as how I want them to end up. At any given time I am working with any combination of 6 different drives (though there is no rhyme or reason to their existence - just a bunch of storage). With more use of Max I find myself drilling down again into Preferences (granted it ain't that far to go).

I know wonder if a simpler solution to the format issue might simply have been to make the Preferences window *the* main window of the app. 1) start Max, 2) promptly choose your format(s) (easily done since the Preferences window is automatically opened, 3) just as easily choose output location, 4) GO.

Having said that re: Preferences auto-opening, I do prefer the Custom Conversion dialog. Could an option be added to the Output location dialog for the user to Choose every time, thus spawning a dialog window asking where to save files, said window opening immediately after the choose files window is closed?

I am imagining a situation wherein I fire up Max; choose File>Custom Conversion; pick the files; and before Max does its thing another window pops up asking me where I want to save the result.

More along these lines would be a whole Default Routine. Say ther's a user who half the time, or for whole bunches of times, does a set thing (like rip a CD to lossy and lossless). Say further this user wants these files always sent to the same location. That routine would be the Default. Any other desired run could be covered by what is currently available (Custom Conversion) plus what I described above re: location choice each time. Hell's bells, you could go further with Default 1, Default 2, etc.

Truth be told though, all this is but a dream of mine waiting patiently for secure ripping. I know in my mind, and I bet in most here, secure ripping is the prime objective.

Thanks for all the work everyone!

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:55 am

I've implemented a preliminary version of this in svn. I eliminated the cumbersome 'Custom Conversion...' menu item (I never liked it anyway!) and replaced it with a single interface window used for all file conversion:

BTW- please note that the "Join files" is currently just a placeholder!

Feedback?

Fuga

and elegantly simple.

Post by Fuga » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:45 pm

Looks sweet - much more straightforward and elegantly simple. I don't do the svn thing. krmathis was putting builds on a site but that's been down.

Looking forward to trying it out.

What's the menu item gonna be called? : )

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:53 pm

sbooth: Looks great, and easy to use.
I'll give it a test before I respond further... :)

Fuga: I have created a new thread for my nightly trunk builds:
http://sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1202

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:37 pm

A very smooth flowing interface.

But I have a problem with the output choice operation. No matter what I choose the files go to my Default.

More, in the dialog window to choose a different location there is no option to create a new folder somewhere. Since Shift-Command-N pops up that option in all apps, if the user knows that works it's not an issue.

Again, the flow seems perfect.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:15 am

Fuga wrote:But I have a problem with the output choice operation. No matter what I choose the files go to my Default.
So regardless of which directory you select the files go to the default output directory? That is strange- it seemed to work for me, but I'll do some more investigating.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:58 am

Yep. At first I assumed the issue was my creating a new folder via the dialog window even though the method is an Apple default. But, no, every time the resulting file(s) go to whatever I have as Default in Preferences.

I made a new user, DLd the build to the user's directory, and tried from there. Same thing.