Request testing on r1298: cue sheets and MP3 transcoding

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
Post Reply
User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Request testing on r1298: cue sheets and MP3 transcoding

Post by sbooth » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:54 am

I've just posted r1298 as the newest unstable build. It contains a feature that has been on the roadmap for ages: splitting files based on cue sheets. As with any new feature, it needs to be tested and beaten on by users. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who has cue sheets lying around could throw them at Max and see if things work as expected.

Also, as part of this I added an MP3 decoder based on MAD. While transcoding from a lossy format is generally frowned upon, the functionality is there so it needs to work! So again, if anyone is willing to transcode an MP3 or two to make sure it works, I would appreciate it.

thornomad
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Request testing on r1298: cue sheets and MP3 transcoding

Post by thornomad » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:54 pm

Hi -

Have been playing with the unstable versions of Max and Play the last couple days ... I ripped a CD to a single FLAC file with embedded cuesheet. On Play all the tracks show great and works fine!

However, when I open the file to "convert" it on Max it doesn't seperate it into tracks ... just does one whole "multiple tracks.mp3" file. I can't figure out how to make it recognize the individual tracks.

Not sure if this is what you are asking in this post but thought I would try and help.

Thanks,
Damon

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Request testing on r1298: cue sheets and MP3 transcoding

Post by sbooth » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:20 pm

I actually just added support for embedded cue sheets in r1303.

To use the functionality, you have to open the FLAC containing the cue sheet with File -> Open. A window should pop up with all the tracks and information gleaned from the file.

Dragging a file with an embedded cue sheet to the convert window will convert the entire file.

thornomad
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Request testing on r1298: cue sheets and MP3 transcoding

Post by thornomad » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:46 pm

Ah! Yes you are quite right. the 1033 let's me do it now.

I see the "Query" button is grayed out ... I suspect that once that is working (being able to query a FLAC cue-sheeted file) this will be the holy grail of audio products on the Mac.

THANK YOU !

Damon

thebaron
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:20 am

Re: Request testing on r1298: cue sheets and MP3 transcoding

Post by thebaron » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:30 am

Heya,

I just posted a post at http://www.sbooth.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 1814#p6087 in the more general Max forums asking about a problem I was having. Then I saw this. The split function works great with that small exception. It's like it's ignoring the start time on the INDEX line? (Again, this is Max 1306).

B

User avatar
sbooth
Site Admin
Posts: 2445
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:45 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Request testing on r1298: cue sheets and MP3 transcoding

Post by sbooth » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:32 am

Can you determine if that problem occurs with other formats as well? Perhaps transcode the entire APE to WAVE, and then simply rename the FILE inside the cue sheet and see if Max is able to extract tracks from that one.

thebaron
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:20 am

Re: Request testing on r1298: cue sheets and MP3 transcoding

Post by thebaron » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:48 pm

Yep, worked fine.

PERFORMER "xxx"
TITLE "YYY - Vol.01 CD-1"
FILE "CDImage.wav" WAVE
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "ZZZ"
PERFORMER "AAA"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "BBB"
PERFORMER "CCC"
INDEX 01 03:00:30
...


FILE "CDImage.ape" WAVE

does not work, however. Well, it SORTA works, as I described earlier.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests