Encoder not using CPU

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
Sithgunner

Encoder not using CPU

Post by Sithgunner » Sat May 20, 2006 1:06 am

Hi.

I've just been playing with the svn version and found out that I ripped a CD just fine flawlessly for once, then I tried to rip using different configuration (by just changing ripping method to 'Basic ripper' from 'Comparison ripper'), and the ripping works fine, but the encoding gets queued and they seem to be progressing at very slow speed, saying it takes about 50 minutes to encode a flac of a 5 minute song, and about double the amount for mp3.

I flipped back the ripping method back to 'Comparison ripper' but things didn't get better.

As I looked at 'top' command in terminal, it looked like Max was only using like 20% of CPU from time to time, never whatever CPU it could use.

The funny thing is, during the ripping process, it starts using CPU 100% at one point, but when it gets to next song, it again, lets the CPU on rest for some reason, probably while it's on ripping process. Not 100% sure, but it seems to start using CPU when it gets to verifying process.

I'm not running other application but a Safari with this page open while it's ripping.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat May 20, 2006 5:47 am

What encoder and settings are you using?

Ripping and encoding together can be slow, depending on the ripper in use and the phase of ripping. What kind of Mac do you have? Encoding a 5-minute track to FLAC on my 1.67 PBG4 takes less than 2 minutes, give or take.

Also, were you running a Development or Release build?

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Sat May 20, 2006 6:58 am

K, sorry for the lack of information, I scattered my enviroment description across multiple posts.

Hardware : Mac Mini, Power PC G4 1.4Ghz
Software : Lame for mp3 and flac for flac (obviously...). Changed no setting for mp3, kept it at 'Transparent' setting, while I switched the compression level to 6 for flac, but the rest is as is for encoding options.
Max : svn build I just checked out today about 5 hours ago.

Yes, I understand that Max does ripping, encoding and validating at the same time, queueing more than 2 encoding to be done later on. I've used flac and lame on the same machine from command line before, so I have some idea on how fast a song gets converted to flac and to mp3.

But what I mean by slow, is just something wrong, because as I said, when I use 'top' command, or same using 'Activity Monitor', about 80% of CPU is left idle, so Max somehow doesn't use the entire available CPU when it encodes.

It seems to happen while the cd is getting ripped, but when the rip is done and validation process starts, the CPU starts working fully having validation and encode happen at same time with sane speed. And when the validation gets done and move on to the next ripping process, once again CPU usage goes to some easy state and the encoding gets super slow.

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Sat May 20, 2006 7:44 am

With further tests, it may not be just because of ripping process...
For some tracks, while ripping, the CPU is almost used up on Max to do the encoding at a ok speed, but when it gets to another track, it starts leaving over 60% CPU idle and makes encode very slow, though the ripping process keeps going just fine.

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Tue May 30, 2006 1:38 pm

I just figured this one thing while using 0.6 and ripping a CD.
I tried to unzip a Max 0.6 zip I just downloaded while making a ripping with Max 0.6, and the unzipping literally took about 30 seconds or so.

My machine is a G4 Mac Mini, so usually the unzip is done in a few seconds at most.

And from other experience, the ripping procedure is making the machine go really slow with other things as well, and by the look of Activity Monitor, the CPU isn't all used up, and still having about 70% idle.

So it wasn't that the encoder wasn't using CPU, but the whole machine operation, be it hard disk IO or other hardware resource, was somehow gotten real slow by the ripping process.

Hope you can figure this out as it's making the machine go real slow while ripping things and taking the encoding process slow as well.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 30, 2006 1:57 pm

Sithgunner wrote:And from other experience, the ripping procedure is making the machine go really slow with other things as well, and by the look of Activity Monitor, the CPU isn't all used up, and still having about 70% idle.
Is this with the comparison ripper?

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Tue May 30, 2006 2:00 pm

Yes, it's with the comparison ripper.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 30, 2006 2:05 pm

The CPU load is caused by the actual comparison of the sectors- on my machine the comparison portion eats up almost the entire CPU. (I'm running a 1.67 GHz G4).

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Tue May 30, 2006 2:11 pm

Yes, but the machine slows when it says 'ripping' and not 'verifying'.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue May 30, 2006 9:17 pm

Well, you've got me on this one! I will think some more to see if I can come up with any ideas.

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Wed May 31, 2006 2:58 am

Ok, if this some weird bug caused on only me, I'll in some days clean install Mac OS X and install Max as first application see if it does any good work.

Sithgunner

Post by Sithgunner » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:42 pm

I just figured I had another Mac Mini (G4, Tiger 10.4.6) that was kept at a closer state from a fresh install, maybe installed a few apps and all the updates from Apple and I put Max 0.6.1 on for another try.

I put the CD in and once again, while ripping process, machine went slow despite open CPU cycles and encoders didn't really start off (of from last track's rip) until it went to the verifying process of the current song.

Does everyone get this problem or not?