Feature idea: simultaneous single/multifile ripping

Discuss the current and future development of Max.
maxlover

Feature idea: simultaneous single/multifile ripping

Post by maxlover » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:44 pm

One of the nice feature of Max is that it allows one to produce several encodings of the same disc in a single operation.
Unfortunataley, the choice between producing a single file for the complete disc, or a file for each track, is at the extraction level, and not at the encoding level.
It would make sense, IMO, to be able to produce, for example, a single file containing a lossless encoding, AND a collection a track files encoded with a lossy compression, ready for use on a portable player. This would probably mean that the temporary files would need to occupy twice the space, but disk is cheap nowadays.
I realize that this is already the third feature suggestion I submit. Well, they are not random ideas, but rather a coordinated set. They arise as I experiment in preparation of my 'big' archive project. The good news is that the rate of new ideas is slowing down :D

Mike1

Post by Mike1 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:41 pm

Wouldn't that be verging on overkill?

I mean, if you really don't want to run Max twice couldn't you "split" the single lossless file with XLD once Max had finished with it?

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:59 pm

The best solution is something that has been on the drawing board for a long time: cue sheet support in Max. This way, you rip to a single file and then convert to whatever format you want.

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:06 am

Mike1 wrote:Wouldn't that be verging on overkill?
Well, the border between convenience and overkill.... Max already allows one to produce several encodings from one reading of the disc, a remarquable and probably unique feature. Allowing some of those encodings to be single file, and others to be multifile, seems a more or less natural extension of that feature.
Mike1 wrote:I mean, if you really don't want to run Max twice couldn't you "split" the single lossless file with XLD once Max had finished with it?
Yes, one can always use several applications,and several steps, instead of one. Not a big deal for a few discs, less appealing for many hundreds.

BTW: XLD recognizes and handles the pregaps. If only Max would be able to recover them when ripping the disc...

maxlover

Post by maxlover » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:12 am

sbooth wrote:The best solution is something that has been on the drawing board for a long time: cue sheet support in Max. This way, you rip to a single file and then convert to whatever format you want.
What I have been referring to as 'virtual CD handling' ? That will be very nice when it will come, of course.

In the mean time, something that should be easier: when ripping to a single FLAC file, would it be possible to still get the separate cue file in addition to the one included in the FLAC ? The included sheet contains much less information (conforming to the FLAC format), and is not accessible for conversion by cue2toc. Thanks.