Default Genre List

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
amclean

Default Genre List

Post by amclean » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:28 am

Hi there,

I'd love to change the default Genres that are available in Max to suit my own library.
Is it possible to change these?

I tried editing Contents->Resources->English.lproj->Genres.string (and the other Genre.string files located in other language folders), but this didn't seem to do it. The old genre names still showed up in the Metadata window, and it actually caused the conversion to fail (as I think it was confused about where to output to).

Thanks in advance.

RonaldPR

Re: Default Genre List

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:15 am

As far as I am aware, there are no "default" genres in Max. You can tag your music files with any genre description you like. The Genre.strings file only determines how a number of genres, the ones present in that file, will be displayed/translated.

amclean

Post by amclean » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:14 am

Hi Ronald,

Yes, you are correct you can tag it with any genre you'd like.

However I've got maybe 10 genres that I use very often, that aren't in the Genre.string file, that it would be great to include (and also to delete a few I never use!).

I use a custom output string where music is organised by Genre, so it would save a bit of time to have these preset, especially in case I make a spelling mistake and send everything to the wrong folder.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:17 am

I suppose that Genre.string only shows how the genres are displayed in different localizations. If the file is localized, the genres will be displayed in the language of choice. (In none of the .lproj folders I checked, the file was localized.)