High-res files convert to only 16-bit

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
tmtomh

High-res files convert to only 16-bit

Post by tmtomh » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:08 pm

I know Max is no longer being developed, and despite that it remains a fantastic piece of software - but I have discovered a very strange bug, and I'm wondering if Mr. Booth could comment:

Whenever I use Max to convert or transcode high-resolution files, the converted files become 16-bit instead of 24-bit.

For example: I take an album's worth of 24-bit, 96kHz FLAC files (purchased from HDTracks, or from a needle-drop, whatever - doesn't matter what the source is). I run them through Max to convert them to ALAC (Apple Lossless). The file sizes of the converted files are very similar to the original FLACs, indicating that Max has not done any downsampling or anything.

However - and here's where it gets weird - iTunes sees them as 16-bit, 96kHz files. And a high-resolution streamer like the Squeezebox Touch also sees them and streams them at 16-bit resolution instead of 24-bit.

The same original 24-bit files, transcoded with a different app, produces ALAC files that iTunes and Squeezebox see as 24-bit files. So this is limited to Max.

Since Max is not shrinking the file size and therefore is not downconverting, it must be something about the way Max is formatting the file header, or setting some kind of informational bit or metadata or something.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or Mr. Booth, do you have any insight as to why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: High-res files convert to only 16-bit

Post by sbooth » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:25 am

I reviewed the source code (it's been a few years since I've looked) and for conversions to Apple Lossless from FLAC my impression is that the source bit depth should be preserved. I also did an experimental transcode of a 48.0/24 FLAC to Apple MPEG-4 Audio (Apple Lossless) and it worked as expected. Can you post your format settings?

fetish230

Re: High-res files convert to only 16-bit

Post by fetish230 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:17 am

Hi,
Just thought this might be a clue:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread ... -In-Static

A friend of mine had constant problems when converting 24 bit ALAC files made with Max to FLAC using Dbpoweramp. 16 bit files worked fine however. Spoons answer in the above link was just something I found when trying to investigate a little.

I've never had any problems with Max myself, but then I'm all Mac/iTunes/ALAC etc…. I just converted 24/192 FLACs to ALAC and they show up as 24/192 in iTunes (Both Max and iTunes being the latest versions available).

Best,
Thomas