High bitrate conversions don't sound good

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Kyle76

High bitrate conversions don't sound good

Post by Kyle76 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:00 pm

So, I converted a few FLAC files to AAC to test things out vs. the 192bps MP3 files that I normally use. The format setting is 3GP Audio (AAC) using a bitrate of 320 (variable) and quality of "Maximum.' The "Source" is Core Audio. The "Source" that I use for MP3 is "Built-In." I imported the files into iTunes to A/B alongside the existing MP3 files. First of all, the volume of the AAC versions is lower than the MP3, and when adjusted for the difference, there seems to be much less detail in the AAC songs. They are more muted. I feel like I must have done something wrong. Granted, I am listening on some cheap Sennheiser fold-up headphones, but I don't see any improvement in AAC over MP3; in fact, the opposite. I even tried some ALAC conversions and found then to be much like AAC, more muted and less volume than the MP3s I've done. Am I doing something wrong?

mattn

Re: High bitrate conversions don't sound good

Post by mattn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:19 am

Kyle76 wrote:So, I converted a few FLAC files to AAC to test things out vs. the 192bps MP3 files that I normally use. The format setting is 3GP Audio
Don't use 3GP! Use Apple MPEG Audio AAC or ALAC. AAC m4a, maximum, vbr is pretty good; ALAC (Apple Lossless) should be bit for bit identical to the FLAC (that is, they should both give you the exact same AIF, and should sound identical to it and to one another).