ALAC > AAC

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Post Reply
User avatar
Fuga
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Texas

ALAC > AAC

Post by Fuga » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:39 pm

I've used Max for transcoding thousands of times.

Today I'm getting the following error:

The call to ExtAudioFileSetProperty failed.

Searching shows over the years others have gotten it in a variety of situations with no help.

This is the first time to use Max since updating to 10.9.2.

It does not happen going ALAC > other formats.

mattn
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:21 am

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by mattn » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:34 pm

The problem is that both ALAC and AAC have the same suffix (.mp4). Thus there is no place to put the converted file, as it threatens to overwrite the original. Make sure that you have set up your preferences so that the intermediate and final files all go to different places (different from each other, and different from the original folder).

User avatar
Fuga
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by Fuga » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks, but nope.Originals are on one drive and destination another.

mattn
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:21 am

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by mattn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:29 am

Then try _not_ doing it to an external drive. Or it may have something to do with your output file naming format. You see, you have to explain why you can't convert ALAC to AAC but I can, so we have to look for differences in our respective setups.

User avatar
Fuga
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by Fuga » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks, Matt, but please re-read my original post. I have done exactly the same thing tens of thousands of times: same external drive, same file naming.

Now having said that I did just do a test with a track on my boot drive and output directory also on boot volume. And, yep, it worked. <insert banging head against a wall smilie here> But that does not meet my needs, same as they've always been for years, as many years as dates back to my first iPod.

XLD and every other application do work. But I do not like them for this particular workflow.

I have done OS and disc maintenance on all involved.

Thanks, again, Matt.

RonaldPR
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by RonaldPR » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Fuga wrote:This is the first time to use Max since updating to 10.9.2.
Updating from 10.9.1 or from a different OSX version?

User avatar
Fuga
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by Fuga » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:04 pm

10.9.1

RonaldPR
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by RonaldPR » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:22 pm

And the problem did not exist in 10.9.1 ?

User avatar
Fuga
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Texas

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by Fuga » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:19 pm

Mystery solved. Sorta.

It's something to do with this one batch of files. As I had used this workflow so many times over the years I never thought it might be the files. I was simply embarking on a routine I do periodically: switch out the AAC files on my iPhone and so grab a bunch of my ALAC I play on the home network. It just so happened that the first batch had this failure. I made an ASSumption and never thought to try others. (10.9.2 had caused some other unforseen issues. No excuse; simply explanation for faulty behavior.) As sometimes things work after waiting awhile I just thought to try it again but drive is involved with a backup and so I just used some files off another drive: still, an external writing to an external. Damned if it didn't work. So I waited for the other drive to be free and replicated the original attempt. Still FUBAR. So there's something about that set of files, all of which were a CD once in FLAC (long story having to do with avoiding iTunes back in the day) now in ALAC.

So, I sincerely thank you, Ronald, and Matt, too, and apologize for wasting your time.

mattn
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:21 am

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by mattn » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:57 am

You're not wasting _my_ time. (Can't speak for anyone else. :) This is a real problem. And you are doing valuable investigation here.

And now that I think back, I had this same problem with some MP3s I downloaded - it was the only time I ever saw the problem. I examined their vital statistics and ultimately assumed it was something about the sample rate, which was an odd one.

And IIRC, XLD had trouble with these files too. They were playable but not convertible.

Maybe it's a bad _tag_ that causes this, I don't know. It would be nice to figure it out.

mattn
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:21 am

Re: ALAC > AAC

Post by mattn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:22 am

Just want to mention that I have again recently encountered the ExtAudioFileSetProperty and have absolutely no idea what causes it or how to be sure of reproducing it. If a certain file causes it, it causes it consistently, but I don't know what it is about that file that's the problem or even what the problem means. Typically I have to solve it by converting to AIFF, usually outside of Max so as to get a completely "clean slate".

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest