temp files when doing file conversions

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Fuga

temp files when doing file conversions

Post by Fuga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:16 pm

I make great use of Max for taking FLAC files and transcoding to ALAC and AAC (all files on external drives). I have blissfully done so (as in
'ignorance is bliss') for so many years. But now I have a wondering, the answer may be buried somewhere in this Max forums' 5604 posts and if so please accept my apologies.

I now have a SSD boot drive. When I am converting files does Max create temp files and if so are they written to disc or to available RAM? I am worried about excessive disc activity.

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: temp files when doing file conversions

Post by sbooth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:32 pm

Max creates temporary files when converting to MPEG-4 (M4A). In actuality it is the tagging library used for M4A (mp4v2) that creates the temporary file. I don't know of a way to change which directory (.) the library uses.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks, Stephen. I can remote into the new Mac mini in the other room when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy. All the files are on networked drives anyway.

So there's no pressing need, but I do wonder. I have used programs in the past that let the user pick a "scratch disc/location". Is this the same thing? Not that I'm requesting it. If I could have you doing any new coding on Max it would be to have the Preferences window to remain open between restarts. ;)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:19 am

The rippers generally allow you to specify which temporary directory they use, but the mp4v2 library doesn't provide this functionality. Of course it's possible to change the library but this isn't something I did (didn't think it was worth it).

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Certainly not worth it at the time. Now? In my case, no. As I said, I just moved to the mini. But as more and more folks move to SSDs, and as other applications try and fail to do what Max does, I see Max's viability to continue strong as ever so there might be others who will need this functionality. Time will tell.

Thanks for the information.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:44 pm

To be honest mp4v2 is not my favorite tagging library but I don't know of a suitable replacement.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Not sure if these files are the same as what I originally asked about. In relation to another issue I had cause to play with output directories and noticed in Max>Preferences>Output damned if there isn't a choice for Temp Files. I have merely created a MaxScratch directory on a non SSD volume.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:23 pm

That temp file is used by the rippers. Unfortunately there is no way to specify the temp directory used by mp4v2 for tagging.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Thanks for clearing that up.