OGG files not supported??

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
LDMartin1959

OGG files not supported??

Post by LDMartin1959 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 pm

I read in numerous places that Max supports OGG files. But Max does not seem to be an option for "Open With" on OGG files, nor do the files show as compatible when I attempt to use the File | Open dialogue box from inside Max.

What am I missing here?

Thank you.

Fuga

Re: OGG files not supported??

Post by Fuga » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:51 am

Hmmm. Not here either. I can OGG files to max via File>Convert files and all is then well.

LDMartin1959

Post by LDMartin1959 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:57 am

But that only allows them to be done singly, doesn't it? I can do singles through Audacity. I'm looking to do batches.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:51 pm

Not at all. You can load as many as you want then hit the convert button.
I prefer to drag a batch from a Finder window into the Convert window.

LDMartin1959

Post by LDMartin1959 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Fuga wrote:Not at all. You can load as many as you want then hit the convert button.
I prefer to drag a batch from a Finder window into the Convert window.
Hmmm. Tried to do that. The Convert option is greyed out so I can't even do that. Not sure what the issue is but there is definitely something not right.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 am

Something on your end. Max is fine here.

LDMartin1959

Post by LDMartin1959 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:13 am

Fuga wrote:Something on your end. Max is fine here.
Yea, I figured as much. Just not sure what to do next to try to resolve it. :(

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:26 pm

LDMartin1959 wrote:The Convert option is greyed out so I can't even do that.
Is the "Convert Files" item in the File menu greyed out after a fresh launch of Max or is the "Convert" button in the "File Conversion" window still greyed out after you populated that window with the files to be converted?

LDMartin1959

Post by LDMartin1959 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:57 pm

RonaldPR wrote:
LDMartin1959 wrote:The Convert option is greyed out so I can't even do that.
Is the "Convert Files" item in the File menu greyed out after a fresh launch of Max or is the "Convert" button in the "File Conversion" window still greyed out after you populated that window with the files to be converted?
It seems I can do a convert one time (single file or group of files), then after that it is greyed out.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 am

Well, yes, that is because the File Conversion window is still open with no files left to convert.

With the window open, you can add files (or folders) by clicking the + button or by dragging files and/or folders from the Finder into the window. As soon as there is at least one file in the list, the Convert button is available again. You can add multiple files and folders from different locations with both methods.

LDMartin1959

Post by LDMartin1959 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:10 pm

RonaldPR wrote:Well, yes, that is because the File Conversion window is still open with no files left to convert.
Left open? I'm not sure about that...once I select files, and hit "Okay/Open" doesn't the dialogue box close? It appears to me that it does. Perhaps I just misunderstand your point.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:18 pm

I do not mean the Open dialog pane, I mean the window that will stay after you click "Open", that will show the files you "opened", and that has the "Convert" button in the upper left corner. You can add more files to the list in that window, either by dragging files or folders from a Finder window into that ""File Conversion" window or by clicking the "+" (plus) button in the lower left corner of the window which will again open a Open dialog pane. When you click the "Convert" button, the added files will be converted and will disappear from the list in the window. The Convert button will be greyed, but as soon as you add again files to the window, either by dragging or by using the "+" button, the Convert button will be enabled again.

I really cannot explain it more clearly than this.

BTW: Make sure you have "Dynamically show and hide windows" enabled in Max preferences, it will automatically show the progress window of files being converted.

LDMartin1959

Post by LDMartin1959 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm

RonaldPR wrote:I do not mean the Open dialog pane, I mean the window that will stay after you click "Open", that will show the files you "opened", and that has the "Convert" button in the upper left corner. You can add more files to the list in that window, either by dragging files or folders from a Finder window into that ""File Conversion" window or by clicking the "+" (plus) button in the lower left corner of the window which will again open a Open dialog pane. When you click the "Convert" button, the added files will be converted and will disappear from the list in the window. The Convert button will be greyed, but as soon as you add again files to the window, either by dragging or by using the "+" button, the Convert button will be enabled again.

I really cannot explain it more clearly than this.

BTW: Make sure you have "Dynamically show and hide windows" enabled in Max preferences, it will automatically show the progress window of files being converted.
Okay, I understand now. One more thing, regarding the "Convert" window we are discussing -- in the past, I thought that window opened automatically upon launching Max from the dock/application folder (as opposed to sending files to it via context menu). Is my memory in error or has this behaviour changed?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:34 am

In the years I used Max, it never opened a window (any window) when launched. Using the contextual menu in the Finder to add files to Max is one way to open the Convert window. I myself never use it. I launch Max and choose "Convert Files..." from the File menu (or hit shift-command-O).