What are you playing your FLACs with?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Boost

What are you playing your FLACs with?

Post by Boost » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:09 pm

Hi!

I switched to Mac from Linux a year ago and have been using iTunes because of it's simple interface. However Apple keeps insisting that FLAC and Vorbis have no place in their application and I don't like Whamb. So my question to you who rip to FLAC or Vorbis:

What player do you use for Mac?

shanecavanaugh

Post by shanecavanaugh » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:47 pm

davebarnes

iTunes

Post by davebarnes » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 am

Boost,

I actually don't play FLAC files. Well, I do check one or two per album using Cog.

I use Max to rip/encode to FLAC and AAC (.m4a, quality=max, bitrate=256 kbps) simultaneously.
I then save these in a folder:
1. FLAC files
2. Artwork, album cover as JPEG
3. Liner Notes, as text file
4. Lyrics, as text files.

I then send the AAC files (after adding metadata such as: artwork, composer and lyrics) to iTunes.

I then put the CD into "cold storage".

This way, I have the FLAC files and metadata forever.
I have the AAC files for playing (today) in iTunes.

,dave
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
http://www.marketingtactics.com

koschate

SqueezeBox

Post by koschate » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:21 pm

Once I've encoded to FLAC, I move the files to a Linux server running SlimServer, and listen via SqueezeBoxes (http://www.slimdevices.com). If I want to listen on my computer, I use Softsqueeze (http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/). I don't believe there's any technical reason preventing me from running the server and player on the same box, but I've got the server hardware anyway.

stokessd

Post by stokessd » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:17 am

I rip to both FLAC and MP3 using EAC (sorry guys, I have a PC with 3 cd/dvd drives in it, called "the burn unit" that does all the heavy lifting), and I transcode to MP3 using the lame encoder.

The MP3 goes to my server, and to iTunes, the FLAC's go to my server and are played on Squeezeboxes.

So for me. it's FLAC for squeeze and MP3 for my iPOD and airtunes.

Sheldon

FLACuncompressed

Post by FLACuncompressed » Mon May 29, 2006 9:21 am

Rockbox firmware worked on my iPod nano for FLAC (and OGG). I installed via Windows because there's a graphical installer for it there.

In the thread "What if..." you can make it clear that FLAC is under-represented on Mac audio playback software and if there's any interest in all in furthering the alliance with Cog as far as dev time, you'd try out builds and appreciate the results. I was shocked at the quality of Max when I encountered it this month; a lot is possible from this triad.

After a few days of trying VLC and Cog I had a f*up and lost all my FLAC's so I re-ripped to ALAC and am using iTunes but I'd be willing to transcode as other 3rd party players improve.

ctraulsen

FLAC

Post by ctraulsen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:07 pm

I don't listen on the Mac. I keep all my FLAC files on an NAS and stream wirelessly around the house via Sonos.

kefa

Post by kefa » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:09 am

I have Slimserver running on my iMac and listen via 2 Squeezeboxes dotted around the flat. Just converted from the world of Linux to the world of Mac mainly because of the lack of professional desktop applications available on Linux, and was expressed to find this little app.

atom

Post by atom » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:44 pm

for now cog, eventually in itunes: http://xiph.org/quicktime/

FLACuncompressed

Post by FLACuncompressed » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:06 pm

Too bad the xiph.org plugin doesn't work on my FLAC's...yet.

krmathis

Post by krmathis » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:58 pm

FLACuncompressed wrote:Too bad the xiph.org plugin doesn't work on my FLAC's...yet.
This might tell you why. ;)
"FLAC - FLAC decoder and importer for Ogg FLAC (no support for native FLAC file format yet);"

FLACuncompressed

Post by FLACuncompressed » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:14 pm

krmathis wrote:
FLACuncompressed wrote:Too bad the xiph.org plugin doesn't work on my FLAC's...yet.
This might tell you why. ;)
"FLAC - FLAC decoder and importer for Ogg FLAC (no support for native FLAC file format yet);"
I converted a FLAC through Max to .oggflac and it still won't play in iTunes, QuickTime, or Cog btw.

Jordan

Re: What are you playing your FLACs with?

Post by Jordan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:39 am

I move the files to a Linux server running SlimServer, and listen via SqueezeBoxes