Weird AppleTV/Max Issue?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
elduderino

Weird AppleTV/Max Issue?

Post by elduderino » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:09 pm

This is the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time, here goes...

I have music that I've ripped directly into iTunes using its own built in ripping and I have music that I have ripped/encoded using CD Max, specifically cdparanoia and LAME 3.97 a la MP3 320kbps.

I recently purchase AppleTV and I am noticing that any music that was ripped with Max plays incorrectly when "streaming" to AppleTV - specifically, the songs will start about 9 seconds into the song when you choose the particular song in AppleTV. This happens 100% of the time for any music that was ripped with Max. Conversely, any music that was ripped directly by iTunes, even with the old LAME 3.96 plugin for iTunes, plays flawlessly, with songs beginning exactly as they should when chosen. I have timed it using other sources, and it is almost exactly 9 seconds into every song with CD Max-ripped music.

What on earth could this be? I have isolated the problem, several different ways, and it appears that Max/cdparanoia/LAME are doing something different, such that when AppleTV gets them streamed to it, it plays them "late" into each song.

I really don't want to go back to using iTunes to rip music, but this is more than a little annoying, and if there is no workaround, I will be forced to stop using CDMax, something that would stink big time, because I have absolutely LOVED cdparanoia's ability to pull music off of the worst quality CD's on the planet (though this is a small number of CD's in my collection :-)

Any/all help is appreciated!

-Brian

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:43 pm

What ID3 frames are present in each type of file? That would be a start for troubleshooting.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:50 pm

sbooth wrote:What ID3 frames are present in each type of file? That would be a start for troubleshooting.
Sorry, not sure what you mean by this, or how I determine that. I'm afraid I'm sort of a novice at all this. If you mean what version of ID3 in songs that are working fine versus those that are not, the ID3 Tag version when I click "Get Info" in iTunes says the Max-ripped songs are ID3 version 2.4, where as the songs that are ripped directly in iTunes appear to be version 2.2.

That's probably not what you want, right? Can you walk me through how I find what you want here?

Thanks very much for being willing to help me. I'll do whatever steps you advise.

Thanks,
Brian

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:52 pm

By the way, if it would be helpful for you to have 2 files, one each of the working correctly and not working correctly type files, I'd be glad to send them to you. Just let me know.

Thanks again,
Brian

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Any chance I could get some help on this?

Thanks,
Brian

dsp

Question for elduderino

Post by dsp » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:57 am

As I've used Max to convert a music collection WAV to AIFF usng Max, I'm more than a little concerned if I'm going to have problems with my upcoming planned purchase of an Apple TV.

Is the problem localized to the MP3 format or does it apply to all formats created by Max?

Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:09 am

elduderino wrote:By the way, if it would be helpful for you to have 2 files, one each of the working correctly and not working correctly type files, I'd be glad to send them to you. Just let me know.
If you can send them to me, I will be happy to take a look.

elduderino

Tardy on my reply...just returned from overseas

Post by elduderino » Mon May 28, 2007 9:21 pm

I was out of the country for a month, but am back now and would like to continue troubleshooting this. I have re-confirmed the exact symptoms as I explained them earlier, and have PM'd sbooth to see how best to get him 2 sample MP3 files for comparison of a file with the problem versus a file without the problem.

Just to reiterate, the problem ONLY exists for Max-ripped MP3's and ONLY exists when they are "streamed" to AppleTV. There is no problem if I "sync" to AppleTV (ie store the files directly on the AppleTV itself for playback). Of course, the measly 40GB harddrive is not the place to store music of any sizable collection - I absolutely need to "stream" for a hundred different reasons, not the least of which is that there are many other applications that are tied to my central repository on my Mac.

I look forward to isolating this problem, before going forth and using Max to rip the remainder of my 700 CD's (have only ripped about 28 so far!).

Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Brian

guf

Post by guf » Tue May 29, 2007 6:47 am

i just noticed a similar problem. Anything I decoded with max, mostly flac to apple lossless does not stream with apple tv. And it will not stream to my macbook either. but what i just did was take the problem max converted album and re encode it with itunes apple lossless. the only problem is that i now will have to go back and find all the problem albums.

elduderino

Sent you the 2 sample files

Post by elduderino » Tue May 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Sbooth,

Let me know if you didn't get those files for any reason.

guf, not sure your issue is directly related. Seems like you are transcoding flac to apple lossless. I'm just simply talking about a straight rip from a commercial CD in iTunes versus the same thing in Max, and then using streaming to listen thru AppleTV. I have no issue with the streaming itself, works for listening perfectly, with one BIG issue - every song starts about 8 seconds into the track when streaming from a MAX ripped song and that does not occur at all when streaming from an iTunes-ripped song. So, when you skip around to go to a track that you want, the song begins playing "late" into the song, by about 8 seconds. It's like the end of track markers or something are not accurately delineating the beginning or end of tracks with MAX. Sbooth should have my files now for analysis.

More to come I'm sure.

Brian

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:55 pm

sbooth,

Any update here? Thanks again for your help.

Brian

elduderino

Re: Weird AppleTV/Max Issue?

Post by elduderino » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:00 am

Hello?????? Anybody?? It would just be nice to hear from someone who is also using an AppleTV and streaming (not syncing) MP3's...I will continue to try to isolate the problem myself, but this is getting awfully frustrating.

Thanks

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Weird AppleTV/Max Issue?

Post by sbooth » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:46 am

I'm still alive, just busy. I think it's a metadata/atom issue but I don't have specifics.