More about "The call to AudioConverterSetProperty failed"

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
mattn

More about "The call to AudioConverterSetProperty failed"

Post by mattn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:18 am

A few threads have noted the failure of a conversion to AAC with an alert saying "The call to AudioConverterSetProperty failed". I've just encountered this and I think the problem here is not Max's fault. This hypothesis is based on the fact that *nobody* seems to like these files. XLD too misbehaved trying to convert one of these files to AAC. Moreover, my iPhone showed their length all wrong and exhibited other weird behavior.

In every case, then, I think it's Apple's own conversion engine that is causing the trouble. There are certain kind of file, I'm suggesting, that it won't convert to AAC. Max is just reporting what Apple's engine is saying. (I think that in this case the thing that the AAC conversion engine didn't like may have been the fact that these files had a weird sample rate, 32KHz instead of the more usual 44.1 or 48 (or their doubles). But I'm not entirely sure about that.)

kai_h

Re: More about "The call to AudioConverterSetProperty failed

Post by kai_h » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

Try converting the input file to a format that Core Audio understands - WAV or AIFF is recommended.
Then, try the following conversion in Terminal to see if Apple's own tools will deal with the file (you need 10.6+ for this to work)

Code: Select all

afconvert <input file> -d LEF32@44100 -f caff --soundcheck-generate --src-complexity bats -r 127 <output file.caf>

Code: Select all

afconvert <input file.caf> -d aac -f m4af -u pgcm 2 --soundcheck-read -b 256000 -q 127 -s 2 <output file.m4a>
This converts the input file to a Core Audio Format intermediate file, and then converts the caf file to a 256kbs AAC. It also does a high-quality resample to 44.1 along the way.

mattn

Re: More about "The call to AudioConverterSetProperty failed

Post by mattn » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 am

Yes, that's just the sort of thing I ended up doing. But that's not the point - the point is that this error, encountered in Max, is in my opinion not a Max error; Max is merely reporting what afconvert itself would have said about this file.