Problem with Max reorganizing my music files

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
LarBO

Problem with Max reorganizing my music files

Post by LarBO » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:15 am

I've been using Max to convert some AIFF files to WAV, and in general the program's been great (to me is easier than XLD for conversion, though I use XLD for disc ripping). However, I've had troubles with the program doing odd things to my file organization.

For starters, it will sometimes leave the coverted WAV files in a location that's different from what I've instructed it to. I've tried both telling it explicitly which folder I want the files in (even making a new one for the converted files) and also having it use the source folder (one of the main options in the folder). In addition to the converted files being put in odd places I find that the album art JPG is invariably put in a different location and folder than the converted WAV files (I have it set to download and associate a graphics file so I can see the cover when finally imported into iTunes (using a short, "blank" AIFF file to allow the coupling of the JPG to all files in the playlist)).

What's more odd is that the program will move individual files to different locations on my external HDD - even ones that were previously converted, but weren't being worked with at the time they were moved. Sometimes it will be an entire album's worth of files, but more often it's only a few song files out of several in a given album folder.

FWIW this is on a 2010 macbook pro using Lion. When using Max I ensure all other programs are shut down (e.g. Max is only application open), and the files being manipulated/stored are on an OWC Mercury Elite Pro HDD.

I've got the files on my HDD organized into folders based on genre (classical, reggae, bluegrass, rock, etc) with further delineation within each genre folder by composer->individual album. It seems that Max feels there's a better way to do this, and takes matters into its own hands.

I've tried various options/approaches to resolve this, but have made no progress. My guess is I'm doing something bone-headed, but am too slow to figure it out. I'd appreciate any insight/advice anyone may have.

Thanks!

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Max reorganizing my music files

Post by sbooth » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Can you post your custom output file naming format?

LarBO

Re: Problem with Max reorganizing my music files

Post by LarBO » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:58 am

I actually don't have the custom format option activated - what's listed there is the standard {albumArtist/albumTitle}/{trackNumber} {trackTitle} but it's not active. Should this option be activated?