rip/convert DVD-A aob files to Apple lossless or flac?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.

rip/convert DVD-A aob files to Apple lossless or flac?

Postby unfrostedpoptart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:24 am

Hi all.

I've got a bunch of DVD-A disks that have lossless Meridian audio files in the AUDIO_TS folder on the disk. I have a Sony DVD player that can handle these and the even rarer SACD that I'll ask about later...)
VLC can play these, but I'd like to get them in a more Mac-friendly format. How can I convert these .aob files (not the .vob files in the VIDEO_TS folder! Those are lossy DST-encoded.) to 5.1 FLAC or Apple lossless .m4a files? I tried dragging the files onto Max, but it wouldn't recognize them :(

Thanks!

David
unfrostedpoptart

Re: rip/convert DVD-A aob files to Apple lossless or flac?

Postby mattn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:25 am

I don't know any application that can do this. I'd resort to playing the dvd and capturing the audio with Piezo / Audio Hijack (or perhaps Jack if you want a free solution).
mattn

Postby unfrostedpoptart » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:46 am

mattn wrote:I don't know any application that can do this. I'd resort to playing the dvd and capturing the audio with Piezo / Audio Hijack (or perhaps Jack if you want a free solution).

I found this Windows program - http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Audio-Explorer
It runs fine under Crossover, and, I'm sure it would also work in Fusion or Parallels.

I ripped all the tracks from the new King Crimson "Starless and Bible Black" DVD-A from the AUDIO_TS folder to wave files. I'm still a bit confused since the disc has 3 versions of the album: 2011 MLP 5.1, 2011 MLP Stereo, and 2001 MLP Stereo, so I'm still figuring out which files go with which version.

There's a stereo wav labeled L-R that sounds like normal stereo.
The next "stereo" track is C-LFE and sounds like it is the center and sub tracks.
The next file is labelled Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs and has 4 mono tracks in it, which is guess is left/right front and left/right surround.
Finally, there's another one labelled L-R that sounds like the first file.

I would guess the 2nd and 3rd files go together to form the 5.1 version.

So, now that I have these two wave files with the 6 tracks, what do I do with them to create a single wav/flac/m4a file that I can play back through my surround system?
unfrostedpoptart

Postby mattn » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:28 am

This really has nothing whatever to do with Max, has it? I suggest you ask on some audio forum, like hydrogenaudio. m.
mattn

Postby unfrostedpoptart » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:13 am

mattn wrote:This really has nothing whatever to do with Max, has it? I suggest you ask on some audio forum, like hydrogenaudio. m.

I don't understand your post. Max converts audio files from one format to another. That's what I'm trying to do.
unfrostedpoptart

Postby RonaldPR » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:09 am

As far as I am aware, Max only supports regular two-channel stereo.
RonaldPR

Postby mattn » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:22 am

Max converts audio files from one format to another

Yes, it's a transcoder. But what you want is some sort of mixer or editor. If I had the multiple tracks in multiple WAV files that you describe, and I wanted to end up with a two-track sound file, I'd probably mix them down in Logic Express or even GarageBand. But this forum isn't about doing that sort of thing. My post was a suggestion of where you'd find experts and help. I don't see how that's hard to understand.
mattn

Postby scott brown » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 pm

ats2wav can extract audio from dvd-audio discs

http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net

I'm not sure it does > 2 channels, though
scott brown

Return to Max