Transcoding with Max

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Lunchbox16

Transcoding with Max

Post by Lunchbox16 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm having issues transcoding FLAC to mp3 with Max. I just upgraded to Lion and didn't have any issues previously so I assume that is the issue.

Just as the file seems to finish transcoding I receive and error message that says Max was unable to open the output file. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Also, since Apple recently made their Lossless codex open source are there plans to update that in Max?

mattn

Re: Transcoding with Max

Post by mattn » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:07 am

Actually, I'm on Snow Leopard and I see this sort of thing occasionally. It seems to have to do with specific files. I just transcoded a whole bunch of FLAC files to AAC. Of those, two choked with this message: "An error occurred while converting the file "blahblah.flac. Unable to create the output file."

XLD transcoded the two troublesome files with no problem. And Max transcoded all the *other* files with no problem. They were all FLAC, same kind of file, etc. I had no idea why these two particular files caused Max to choke. Just out of curiosity I tried changing the target form (i.e. something else instead of AAC, different bitrates of AAC, etc.) None of that helped...

Then I tried messing with the tags (using the little editor in the draw to the right of the window in Max). Bingo! Now I could transcode with Max no problem. So I conclude that Max chokes on certain FLAC tags. But don't ask me exactly what the issue was; I didn't try to work that out.

Lunchbox16

Re: Transcoding with Max

Post by Lunchbox16 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:18 pm

I think my issue had something to do with the output location. I selected the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder as the output folder and got the error mentioned previously. When I changed the output location to another folder the files converted just fine. I'm assuming because the Auto Add folder runs some sort of action it is messing up the output? Perhaps it's moving the file before Max is finished converting it? That's just speculation on my part.