Join files?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Fixx

Join files?

Post by Fixx » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:04 pm

This feature has been non working for a long time. Would be really useful if it were restored.

At the moment it gives a report window like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32453/join-max.gif

Bug report has been submitted.

mattn

Re: Join files?

Post by mattn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:14 am

I don't think Max has a "Join files" feature. What are you actually trying to do?

Fixx

Post by Fixx » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:49 am

"Join input files" can be selected in Output-tab in Preferences. I have read it has been deactivated in some versions of Max.

Typically I have a bunch of FLAC files which actually are mixed together, so a gapless playback would be preferable in all players. I want to merge them and encode to mp3 variable. I have not found any other tool which can do this at one go. Max did it years ago, but not current version/operating system (Snow Leopard).

mattn

Post by mattn » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:32 am

Fixx wrote:Typically I have a bunch of FLAC files which actually are mixed together, so a gapless playback would be preferable in all players. I want to merge them
So you have multiple FLAC files and you want to turn them into a single file? shntool will do this. If you need a GUI on shntool, use xACT. You can then use Max or whatever to turn the joined FLAC to MP3 or any other format.

Fixx

Post by Fixx » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:11 pm

I know. It is just that Max used to do all that in a single batch. With xACT all steps must be done separately.

mattn

Post by mattn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:03 am

I guess my attitude is I'd rather get the job done with a tool that works than waste time worrying about some *other* tool that *doesn't* get the job done.

CDJay

Post by CDJay » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:08 pm

I used "Audiograbber" when I was on the Windows platform, and it had a feature where you could adjust the ending bits (or bytes?) of a song. So if Song 1 ended at 10,000 bits and Song 2 ended at 15,000 bits, you would just adjust Song 1 to end at 15,000 bits and it would merge bits 1-15,000 into one song. A perfect example for this is Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions." Most of us think of this as one song, but when the pieces are ripped individually, a pause happens between the two parts.

Another cool feature is it was possible to adjust the starting time for a song, which I would use to take out the banter or tuning at the beginning of a live song. I know some people like to keep a live album in its entirety, but I almost always listen to songs individually in a shuffle mode for the variety, so I don't want to wait 45 seconds until the song actually begins.

mattn

Post by mattn » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:15 am

CDJay wrote:I used "Audiograbber" when I was on the Windows platform, and it had a feature where you could adjust the ending bits (or bytes?) of a song. So if Song 1 ended at 10,000 bits and Song 2 ended at 15,000 bits, you would just adjust Song 1 to end at 15,000 bits and it would merge bits 1-15,000 into one song. A perfect example for this is Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions." Most of us think of this as one song, but when the pieces are ripped individually, a pause happens between the two parts.
Not if it it's ripped and played properly. An opera is continuous, but an opera CD consists of many tracks. When I rip an opera CD to its many tracks, there is no pause when I play them: they play continuously, just as when listening to the whole CD.
CDJay wrote:Another cool feature is it was possible to adjust the starting time for a song, which I would use to take out the banter or tuning at the beginning of a live song. I know some people like to keep a live album in its entirety, but I almost always listen to songs individually in a shuffle mode for the variety, so I don't want to wait 45 seconds until the song actually begins.
iTunes can do what you describe, without editing the sound file. Of course another option is to edit the sound file and just delete the part you don't want. Audacity is free, though I use Amadeus for this sort of thing.

CDJay

Post by CDJay » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Sorry for being so late in replying, but are you referring to using "Part of a gapless album" on iTunes? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that feature doesn't fully work for me because I've either set up Max improperly or Max functions a particular way. What I mean is one thing I noticed when I switched over to the Mac and started using Max is the same song was about two to three seconds longer, so it appears Max adds a padding at the ends of songs. (Or I recall Audiograbber had a checkbox about removing silence at the end of songs.) Either way, there's a pause between the songs during playback that doesn't exist on the album. I've tried using Fission to combine songs, but I've noticed a slight sound between the song parts. I don''t know if it's a pop or a hesitation, but something's off compared to the CD.

If you know of a better way, I'm all ears.

Regarding editing the sound file versus using iTunes to change the start and stop time, my preference would be to edit the sound file one time -- hopefully at the recording process -- because my understanding of iTunes is any changes made to the song are only saved within a particular library's XML file, so I believe that I'd have to change the settings again if I created a second library (although I have found ways how to transport a library to take away that effort).

I guess what I'm saying is I'd prefer one software that can accomplish this at the beginning of ripping/encoding, rather than having to use a second software to polish the song. But, of course, I'm not the one putting the effort into writing the software, so I have no idea how crazy my wishes are!

mattn

Post by mattn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:59 am

when I switched over to the Mac and started using Max is the same song was about two to three seconds longer, so it appears Max adds a padding at the ends of songs. ... something's off compared to the CD.
Sorry, I didn't grasp that - when you started using Max to do *what*, precisely? I sense there's a CD. Then what are you doing?

CDJay

Post by CDJay » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I should have been. However, one thing I noticed between songs I ripped with Audiograbber on Windows versus Mac on Max is the songs have consistently been longer on Max. I just checked my database and found songs that were recorded by the two programs. The Yardbirds' "Evil Hearted You" is 2:23 on Audiograbber and is audibly silent with about :01 left, whereas the song is 2:27 on Max and is audibly silent with around :05 or :04 left. Admittedly, those are on different albums, but I recently re-ripped a lot of CD's to update the encoder and found this to be consistent within the same CD: the Max song is a few seconds of silence longer. That becomes an issue when joining tracks AFTER the ripping process (unless someone knows an easy trick).

Again, one feature I recall on Audiograbber that was useful was the ability to change the start/stop time by adjusting the frames (I think). Thus one could join tracks by putting the number of the ending frame on Song 2 onto the ending frame of Song 1, so instead of Song 1 ripping 1-5000, it would now rip 1-10000 and play like the CD itself with no pause between the tracks. Conversely, I would rip live songs without the "We're so happy to be back in...." banter between songs by adjusting the starting frame.

And the second feature I recall was the ability to check a box that would remove the silence at the end of the song. This may have been why my songs were shorter on AG, because it would leave X number of frames of silence, then remove the rest. That makes for less pauses on shuffle in iTunes without having to manually adjust the ending time for each song.

mattn

Post by mattn » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:28 am

You're still not answering my question. You have a CD. Now you're doing something? Something with Max? What is it, exactly? No one can test your procedure if you can't just say what it is.

mattn

Post by mattn » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:17 am

Fixx wrote:Typically I have a bunch of FLAC files which actually are mixed together, so a gapless playback would be preferable in all players. I want to merge them and encode to mp3 variable
Actually I've just discovered that XLD can do this: put all the FLAC files in a folder together and then choose Open Folder as a Disc. Now you can transcode the whole "disc" to a single MP3 if that's what you want to do.

Fixx

Post by Fixx » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:21 pm

mattn wrote:
Fixx wrote:Typically I have a bunch of FLAC files which actually are mixed together, so a gapless playback would be preferable in all players. I want to merge them and encode to mp3 variable
Actually I've just discovered that XLD can do this: put all the FLAC files in a folder together and then choose Open Folder as a Disc. Now you can transcode the whole "disc" to a single MP3 if that's what you want to do.
Thank you. I will check this.