Max and Lion are just not working for me

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
Kyle76

Max and Lion are just not working for me

Post by Kyle76 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:35 pm

I am trying to rip to FLAC, and the program is taking forever -- an hour or more per track, which I have just been canceling because something is obviously wrong. I am also not getting album information. Song titles are there, but nothing else -- no album name or artist name. I haven't changed any setting since upgrading to Lion. I am using the later version of Max, and it has always worked in the past, but I cannot figure out what the problem is now.

mattn

Re: Max and Lion are just not working for me

Post by mattn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:33 pm

I'd recommend that you try XLD for ripping and confine use of Max to conversion of existing sound files.

Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:51 pm

I am not sure I would go that far. Max is perfectly fine for ripping to FLAC. I don't use it that away, but I just tried it very quickly, and it didn't take significantly longer to rip to FLAC than to AIFF. I am not posting to diss XLD, but I have never been happy with it. It does offer that ability to compare to the AccurateRip database, but in terms of ripping and the engine it uses, it should not produce any better rips. While some see XLD as simpler, and on some levels, I guess it is, I have not had that experience. This is an old piece, but it illustrates some reasons why I prefer Max to XLD.

Anyway, seems to me we ought to see if we can figure out what is causing Kyle's problems. Kyle, please describe your settings in Max.
You can't win. You can't break even. You can't get out of the game.

Fuga

Post by Fuga » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:17 am

That piece is not just old but very old - over three years. All but one of the shortcomings of XLD no longer exist.

But the main reason to use XLD over Max is when ripping. Max still uses cdparanoia, and an outdated version at that. In a batch of tests on beatup CDs from public libraries, of the CDs that EAC and XLD (with latest cdparanoia) failed to rip totally (approximately 15) XLD with it's Secure Ripper completely ripped over 10, and of the ones it didn't rip totally, still ripped most of the tracks. It was rather amazing to hear the drive's machinations - sector recounts in the 100s for a few tracks. Another plus for XLD is the log information is so much more informative, no matter which engine is used.

Max is wonderful for files conversions, especially when more than one at a time, and through symbolic links, more than one final destination at a time.

mattn

Post by mattn » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:57 am

Pale Rider wrote:I am not sure I would go that far. ... I am not posting to diss XLD, but I have never been happy with it.
Look - it's not a battle. it's not a comparison. I'm not "going far". Everyone here knows that I know a lot about Max and that I answer questions helpfully. But we also know that it's not been getting proper developer attention and that its interface can be highly confusing and procrustean. And for some people Max is better at some of its tasks than at others. Meanwhile there are also many other free resources. There's no reason why they shouldn't all be part of a user's toolbox. I see my advice to try XLD for ripping as positive, not negative. I've just ripped several hundred CDs to FLAC with it (I'm the process of getting rid of all my CDs, converting to sound files on 1TB drives instead). For batch conversion of FLAC to AAC I still prefer Max. For certain tasks, as I've said on other threads, the command line or xACT can be appropriate. It's all good.

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:36 pm

Please tell me what settings you need. Max used to work fine on both my iMac and my Macbook Pro. Now, it works on neither. When I choose files to convert (from the CD drive), it appears as if its working, but the time for each track is anywhere from 30 to 50+ minutes. It used to rip a whole CD in just a few minutes. Please tell me what settings you would like to see, and I'll be glad to provide the information. Thanks.