I can't get a Max window?

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
cosmoliu

I can't get a Max window?

Post by cosmoliu » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 am

I have an odd problem: When I open Max, I get the "Max" indicator at the upper left, next to the Apple icon, with all the usual drop-down menus extending to the right, but I don't get a Max window to work with. Clicking on "Check for updates" I get the reply that 0.9.1 is the most recent version. I had previously used Max for about 2 years, but I suspect that there is an OSX update that has changed some setting since the last time I downloaded from HD Tracks a couple of months ago. I am at OSX version 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). Luckily, I had a workaround last night where I transferred the files I wanted to convert from this iMac to my MacBook Pro, converted there, and transferred the AIFFs back to the iMac (MacBook Pro also is at 10.6.8). However, that process is not something I want to have to go through every time I buy an album from HD Tracks. I have tried uninstalling Max and re-installing, including a short dalliance with the unstable version. Any answers to this problem?

mattn

Re: I can't get a Max window?

Post by mattn » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Choose File > Convert Files. If you just want the window to remain, sitting there empty, then when the choose file dialog appears, click Cancel.

Alternatively, if you have a cue file paired with a sound file, choose File > Open and choose the cue file.

cosmoliu

Post by cosmoliu » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:10 am

Thank you, matttn. Actually, it wound up being a bit more weird: when I clicked File>Convert Files, I got a typical (though full screen) Finder window, but then I noticed an "Open" button in the lower right corner. I navigated to a .flac file, then clicked on "Open" and the Finder window transformed into the familiar Max window. I converted that one file and it went to the usual destination folder. Not sure what just happened, but when I closed and then reopened Max, everything was back to normal.

Thanks again.

mattn

Post by mattn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

cosmoliu wrote:when I clicked File>Convert Files, I got a typical (though full screen) Finder window, but then I noticed an "Open" button in the lower right corner
Well, no. That was the choose file dialog of which I spoke earlier. Next to the Open button was the Cancel button of which I spoke. It would have been sufficient to click it. There was no need to open or convert anything.