Multi-CD sets only match CD1

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
TheTubeDude

Multi-CD sets only match CD1

Post by TheTubeDude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Hello!

I am new to Max and so far it's worked great for my - I am ripping my entire collection which consists of several hundred CDs.

I ran into a snag though. When I try to RIP multi-CD sets it finds CD1 OK, but then it considers CD2 to be identical. For instance this set, Painting It Red by The Beautiful South

http://musicbrainz.org/release/300214c0 ... d91b04abe4

CD1 all fine, but when i put the second CD in, it thinks its the same. I also noted that this happened earlier with other CDs.

I hope there is a way as entering manually is a drag, If there was a way to manually tell Max which ID it should read from Music Brainz, that would work too - or perhaps I am just missing something obvious?

Thanks for help!

P

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Multi-CD sets only match CD1

Post by sbooth » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:16 pm

A few months back MusicBrainz changed the way they categorize multi-disc sets. Max hasn't been updated yet to deal with the database change.

erichenao

Post by erichenao » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm having the same problem. Could we get a deadline to an update for this? Or how about: how do we switch which database MAX uses to get track info to using something else besides musicbrainz?

Thanks,
Eric

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:58 am

You can use the "Get iTunes Metadata" script to use the database that iTunes uses (Gracenote).
The script is included with Max downloads, can also be found here: http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1930

(For freeware like Max, only free databases can be used in the application itself. Gracenote is commercial.)

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:47 pm

erichenao wrote:I'm having the same problem. Could we get a deadline to an update for this? Or how about: how do we switch which database MAX uses to get track info to using something else besides musicbrainz?
I'm working on an updated version of Max, although I'm hesitant to give myself a deadline!

Pale Rider

Post by Pale Rider » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:49 pm

First post. Appreciate the work. I am also re-ripping my entire collection using Max, and of course, I ran into the MusicBrainz Disc 2 problem as well. I had previously used iTunes, starting out ALAC, and then AIFF. I have found that Max makes better (read "truly bit perfect") rips, and it makes a difference. S, that was a old enough reason to donate.

I actually think MusicBrainz is a good effort, and ai don't mind supporting it. Obviously, it's only as good as the individual efforts of its contributors, and I have found some mistakes. But all in all, it's pretty good. Not as good as Gracenote, but....
You can't win. You can't break even. You can't get out of the game.

jangari

Post by jangari » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:31 pm

I know it's been a while since this thread has been active, but has there been any progress on this?

renowden

Post by renowden » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:35 am

There is also a related bug as it tries to read beyond the end of the CD trying to match the tracks from the next one.

Does the "unstable" version address these problems?