10.7 Lion / Max "classic" apps

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
brijazz

10.7 Lion / Max "classic" apps

Post by brijazz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:45 am

I've noticed that some parts of Max use the "classic" environment on OS X; this includes "Get iTunes Metadata.app" and "Delete Preferences.app".

The upcoming OS X 10.7 (Lion) will no longer support the classic environment. Will an updated version of Max be available by the time it launches in July? Thanks!

RonaldPR

Re: 10.7 Lion / Max "classic" apps

Post by RonaldPR » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Max itself is a Universal Binary, but the provided scripts are PPC only and need Rosetta (they do not need the Classic environment, they run fine here in Snow Leopard). In Snow Leopard (and probably in Lion) you can open the script in AppleScript Editor (in /Applications/Utilities/), choose 'Save as...', choose Application for the File Format in the Save dialog, and Save. The script will be saved as a Universal Binary and should run fine in Lion (and in Snow Leopard).

djej

Post by djej » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:41 am

What exactly do these three pieces do?

1. Delete Preferences
2. Delete Saved CD Information
3. Get iTunes Metadata

For #3, will it still grab track data for supported discs if I have iTunes compatibility mode turned of? #s 1 and 2, I'm just not sure specifically those items do. I may not even use them.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:05 am

djej wrote:1. Delete Preferences
Those two can be used to solve certain problems. Not needed normally.
3. Get iTunes Metadata
When ripping a CD, Max uses the (free) MusicBrainz to fetch the metadata for the CD. iTunes uses the commercial GraceNote. The GraceNote database is usually more complete and contains less errors than MusicBrainz. If you run the "Get iTunes Metadata" script after inserting the CD and with Max and iTunes running, the metadata obtained by iTunes from GraceNote will be used in Max. It has nothing to do with the iTunes compatibility setting.
See also this topic: http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1930

djej

Post by djej » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:41 am

RonaldPR wrote:
djej wrote:1. Delete Preferences
Those two can be used to solve certain problems. Not needed normally.
3. Get iTunes Metadata
When ripping a CD, Max uses the (free) MusicBrainz to fetch the metadata for the CD. iTunes uses the commercial GraceNote. The GraceNote database is usually more complete and contains less errors than MusicBrainz. If you run the "Get iTunes Metadata" script after inserting the CD and with Max and iTunes running, the metadata obtained by iTunes from GraceNote will be used in Max. It has nothing to do with the iTunes compatibility setting.
See also this topic: http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1930
1 & 2... Solve certain problems like what?

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:18 pm

djej wrote:1 & 2... Solve certain problems like what?
Like when the related files happen to be corrupted. And in the past there was a version upgrade where one or both needed to be deleted because of some changes in Max. I do not remember which upgrade. Normally you will never need those two scripts. The 'Get iTunes Metadata' script is very useful, though.

dfyoung

Post by dfyoung » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:50 am

RonaldPR wrote:Max itself is a Universal Binary, but the provided scripts are PPC only and need Rosetta (they do not need the Classic environment, they run fine here in Snow Leopard). In Snow Leopard (and probably in Lion) you can open the script in AppleScript Editor (in /Applications/Utilities/), choose 'Save as...', choose Application for the File Format in the Save dialog, and Save. The script will be saved as a Universal Binary and should run fine in Lion (and in Snow Leopard).
Good call, RonaldPR - thank you! Followed your advice and now no need for Rosetta with Get iTunes Metadata in OS 10.6.8. I'm almost ready to upgrade to Lion now but I'll probably still wait for 10.7.1.

macdilbert

Post by macdilbert » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:39 am

I have recompiled the main "Get iTunes Metadata" for use in Lion and any 10.6 or 10.7 uses.
Simply down the attached file and unzip, then replace your old script with this one.
GetiTunesMetadata.zip
Get iTunes Metadata script for OS Snow Leopard 10.6, Lion 10.7+
(24.45 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
I take no credit for the script itself, it simply came from sBooth here: http://forums.sbooth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1930

Enjoy!