The new name for Max will be...

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.

What should the new name be?

myAudio
16%
Audio Duper
3%
Audiophora
49%
Halcyone
32%

Total votes: 37

smiler

Re: The new name for Max will be...

Post by smiler » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:31 am

I'm happy with Max - it's well known in Mac circles at least.

If it has to change, I really liked someone's suggestion of Xam, even if it was in jest. Otherwise, I suppose something which suggests purpose (like Tag and Play do very well) would be the best route. How about Rip, Record or Encode (I guess that must be taken though)? Maybe something to do with the copying (transcribing) of music, like Scribe, TransMusic, Transound, Transact (Trans/fer-extr/act)... just my musings :). Otherwise, it combines copying/transcoding with tagging: how about DiscTag, TransDisc, Disctran...

Hmm... it's tough renaming something you don't want to rename!
Regards,
smiler =)

Play: 0.1.3b (r.964)
Max: 0.7.1
Music collection: FLAC, AAC-LC (160k VBR for iPod)

danfluidmind

Post by danfluidmind » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:46 am

smiler wrote:I'm happy with Max - it's well known in Mac circles at least....How about Rip, Record or Encode?
What about simply "MaxRip" or "MaxRipper"? That way you keep the recognition that the name "Max" has built in the community, but now the name indicates what the app is. "Max" is just too generic of a name. It could be anything.

--Dan

waxear

Post by waxear » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:47 pm

I think 'max' should still be included in the title somewhere so that people will follow the association. 'Max' also does a good job of impyling that the intention of the program is for highest level of quality in terms of audio, which is the big draw of this app.

hoofed

Post by hoofed » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:47 am

Audio Brew.

bdkennedy1

Post by bdkennedy1 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:59 am

myAudio is boring.
Halcyone will be misspelled in reviews and magazines and I'm not even sure how to pronounce it.
Maybe Audiophoria can be changed to Audiphoria? I think it sounds better.

RonaldPR

Post by RonaldPR » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:13 am

Next to "Play" and "Tag", also a one syllable name would be nice. If no other name can be found that better refers to the function, in my opinion "Max" is fine.

danfluidmind

Post by danfluidmind » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:05 pm

waxear wrote:I think 'max' should still be included in the title somewhere so that people will follow the association. 'Max' also does a good job of impyling that the intention of the program is for highest level of quality in terms of audio, which is the big draw of this app.
Hence, "MaxRip":

* Keeps the continuity of the name "Max" so people know it's the same app
* Indicates what the function of the app is: "ripping"
* Is only two syllables long and is easy to say

Perfect. ;-)

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:37 am

I prefer Max over any of the choices listed, although I'm not opposed to a new name, provided a suitable one is found.

Ace (synonym for expert)?
MaxiMorph?
Fonzie (cool 8) converter)? :oops:

I had some other suggestions, but they're already taken.

My Audio just plain sounds dumb IMO.

Max = short, simple, works!

Dan's comment above says "Max...could be anything." That's true of a lot of apps on my computer. Firefox gives no hint to its purpose, yet it's the 2nd most popular browser in the world.
SuperDuper!, Vidalia, HandBrake, Candybar, Cocktail, none of them are descriptive.
I often find it annoying when apps cram their purpose into their name (audio this or audio that, photo this or picture that).
Others work okay: Photoshop, MacTheRipper, Mighty Mouse, Path Finder, so I think it depends more on the quality of the name as well as its pronounceability and familiarity (sounding like known words or phrases, as in MacTheRipper and AppleJack).