HDCDs

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
relayer250

HDCDs

Post by relayer250 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 pm

I have a couple of HDCDs that I wanted to rip the audio to FLAC or any other uncompressed format. Is there a way I can tap into converting this? I noticed that I end up with a 16 bit FLAC file instead of 24 bit. Thanks!

randian

Re: HDCDs

Post by randian » Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Your FLAC rip still contains HDCD coding. What you need more than ripping to 24-bit FLAC is a player that will decode HDCD.

Reuti

Post by Reuti » Thu May 05, 2011 9:57 am

Or a player like Decibel who transfers the FLAC just bit-transparent to an external D/A converter by S/PDIF and the external D/A converter must recognize the HDCD coding. There was also a discussion whether Linn's DS products can do it: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=1500 Especially as they stopped to produce CD players (where some also had a digital input) AFAIK.

Are there still many HDCD releases nowadays? Some recording companies are already selling plain 24 bit FLAC.

Another option could be to apply DSP effects in e.g. dBpoweramp to make plain 20 bit files out of them.

randian

Post by randian » Sat May 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Reuti wrote: Are there still many HDCD releases nowadays?
If I recall correctly, Audio Fidelity uses it. Quite a few of Rhino's remasters use it.
Reuti wrote: Some recording companies are already selling plain 24 bit FLAC.
The question is whether these are genuine 24-bit recordings or mere upsampled 16-bit originals. I wouldn't put it past studios to jump on the high-def bandwagon with basically fraudulent tracks. Some of the early Blu-ray and HD-DVD releases used obviously upsampled DVD masters, but it's a lot easier to tell if an original video source was low-def than it is for audio.