Max new version can't convert 24bit FLAC to MP3

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
elduderino

Max new version can't convert 24bit FLAC to MP3

Post by elduderino » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 am

Stephen, prior to this latest version that I had to take for compatibility with 10.6.6, I could take 24bit FLAC from places like HDTracks.com and other places, and convert them to standard MP3 in Max. Been doing it for months. Now, with the latest unstable build, required for proper functioning in 10.6.6, it seems something has broken there. I have verified now that my normal 16bit FLAC-to-MP3 transcodes work fine in Max new version, but when I move up to 24bit FLAC, the conversion works, the files are the right size for a proper encoding, but when you try to play them, the OS thinks it's playing it, but there's literally no sound. Thinking the first album was just my own 24 bit recording issue, I downloaded some 24bit FLAC from B&W's Society of Sound subscription I have and those 24bit FLAC's when transcoded to MP3 have the same exact problem. They look fine, have the proper size, but are silent when played thru either iTunes, or Play, or WinAmp on a windows machine, etc. The old MAX versions handled these just fine, as I've been a Society of Sound subscriber for 2 years.

Can you please fix and issue a new version for us? I'm stuck after having purchased several new 24bit/96KHz and 24bit/192KHz recordings.

Thank you sir!
-El Duderino

sbooth
Site Admin

Re: Max new version can't convert 24bit FLAC to MP3

Post by sbooth » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:03 am

I just confirmed this problem. Thanks for letting me know.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 am

sbooth wrote:I just confirmed this problem. Thanks for letting me know.
EXCELLENT! And the fix will come when if I may...sorry, just getting antsy, you know, long snow-filled winter days, needing to complete my master plan of completing my music library properly, the usual...

Thanks again Stephen, in all seriousness, I am a walking advertisement for your code, whether it be Rip, Max, Tag, and now Decibel...a hearty thank you for years and years of committed code. Some of us truly do appreciate what you've done. Count me among them.

Cheers!
-El Dude

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:42 pm

Can I get an update on a fix for this issue? Preventing me from moving forward with my archival process. Thanks.

sbooth
Site Admin

Post by sbooth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:59 am

No progress on this yet, sorry.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Stephen, sorry to keep buggin you on this, but it really is slowing me down as I've been purchasing much new 24-bit FLAC and such, and need to convert with Max if possible, like I've been doing for 5+ years. If it matters, I purchased and LOVE Decibel by the way, it is my go-to player now for all high rez, works great! I would gladly contribute to Max development as well, the tool has been invaluable to me for years now. Let me know when you think you can get to fixing the 24bit conversion issue, I would greatly appreciate it. Keep up the excellent work with all the tools, Rip, Max, Tag and now Decibel are the tools I rely on most in my process.

Thanks so much,
Brian

rabidsquid

Post by rabidsquid » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:43 pm

I just wanted to add that I share the same issues.

elduderino

Post by elduderino » Mon May 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Stephen, your reply to a recent post implied that 24bit to 24bit from FLAC to AppleLossless should work fine. If so, where are we with 24bit FLAC to MP3 conversion that used to work so well and has been broken for at least 4 months? Can I just get an update as I still have version 1438 unstable and as far as I know that's the latest.

Thanks very much.

bjarkebech

Post by bjarkebech » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Sorry to bump this, would just like to note that 24bit FLAC/ALAC to MP3 still results in a silent MP3 regardless of encoder settings.

Max is hands down the best audio converter app I've used, and if this eventually would get solved I'd be very happy.

mattn

Post by mattn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:37 am

I just hit a similar situation (Max can't deal with 24/96 flac). I think you'll find that XLD can convert these files just fine, though; that's how I handled it.