Can't add Max-generated M4A files to iTunes 9.1.1

Discuss Max, an open source CD audio extractor and audio converter.
NoName

Can't add Max-generated M4A files to iTunes 9.1.1

Post by NoName » Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm

Okay, I've been using Max as my audio file format converter of choice for years, but have now encountered a big problem with the files the program generates.

I've got a completely fresh installation of Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro, with all Apple software updates successfully applied. Yesterday, I ran a usual/typical batch conversion of my FLAC music library to AAC (Apple MPEG-4 Audio, MPEG 4 Low Delay AAC: Extention = m4a, Quality = maximum, Bitrate = 128, Use VBR checked. Everything seem to have gone normally, except that when I launch iTunes and try to add the output files to my library (File --> Add to Library), iTunes scans the files and then just stops before organizing the files (I've got iTunes set to keep my library organized, the way I always have).

Of course I've repaired permission on my computer, verified/repaired the startup disk, checked ownership and permissions for all of the files I'm trying to add to my library (I've got read + write access to the whole parent folder as well as to everything inside it), and even uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes 9.1.1 per Apple's instructions (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1224). Still, no amount of trying to add these files to my iTunes library will work.

I can play any/all of the files via the Finder, QuickTime Player, and Play (which I just downloaded and installed today).

Is this a known problem with iTunes 9.1.1? Really, I've been through the ropes of working with Max and iTunes for years, and never have seen such a thing. Any help would be appreciated. I could just use dBpoweramp Music Converter on my Windows 7 laptop and move the files over to my Mac, but where's the fun in that?

Thanks,

NoName

mattn

Re: Can't add Max-generated M4A files to iTunes 9.1.1

Post by mattn » Fri May 07, 2010 2:52 am

I'm using the latest version of iTunes and I'm not having any trouble with Max-generated files.

I'm not clear on what's happening for you (and either way it sounds like an iTunes problem, not a Max problem). iTunes has two library-related options: (1) import stuff into the Music Library folder automatically when you add it to a playlist, and (2) keep the Music Library folder organized. Frankly I never do (1); I keep most of my music off on a different disk. I should also say I never use File > Add to Library. I just drag from the Finder into a playlist. (A song that's in the library but not in a playlist would be useless to me, as I'd never encounter it.)

So suppose you turn off 1. What happens when you drag a file to a playlist? Are you saying it never shows up in the playlist at all?

By the way, feel free to post some of these songs somewhere downloadable so I can try this out for myself and tell you what my results are.

NoName

Post by NoName » Fri May 07, 2010 9:06 pm

The problem definitely wasn't with iTunes. I have since transcoded the same 4,525 FLAC files to Apple Lossless (when originally I had been running a conversion to lossy AAC) with Max, and all but 2 of them were successfully added to my iTunes library. Subsequent attempts to convert the 2 errant files result in consistent failure for no apparent reason. It would be nice if Max would provide some logging of failed conversions :idea:

I have also run a batch conversion of my FLAC files to AAC (.m4a) using dBpoweramp Batch Converter, and every single one of those imported perfectly into iTunes on both of my Macs as well as my Windows 7 computer and my iPod. So, it seems that on my setup, Max can't create iTunes-worthy AAC files, but dBpoweramp can.

Not that this is relevant to the file compatibility problem I've posted about, but I will just reply that there is no reason for iTunes' Add to Library menu to not work, nor is there a need to use playlists to play music. I don't use playlists, and just personally have no use or need for them.

So, today I decided to use dBpoweramp Batch Converter to transcode my FLACs to Apple Lossless, making sure to enable file verification after encoding. Zero problems encountered, and upon moving the new Apple Lossless files to iTunes, it was also nice that I didn't have to do the usual chore of removing all the unwanted Album Artist tags that Max generates (it seems to copy the Artist tags and duplicate the metadata in Album Artist tags, which makes keeping compilations grouped a serious pain).

If no one else is experiencing problems with a setup like mine and Max-generated lossy AAC (.m4a) files in iTunes, great. I can easily reproduce the problem and post some output files if other users experience similar issues.

mattn

Post by mattn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

What I'd like to see is not an output file but an input file. If you could post an example of a file you can't turn into an iTunes-acceptable AAC file with Max, I could try the same thing on my own machine. m.